Onscreen keyboard doesn't work

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Agarthon

Onscreen keyboard doesn't work

Post by Agarthon »

I have Linux Mint Mate 18.3 Mate (Sylvia). Because of the faultiness of my laptop keyboard, I often use the onscreen keyboard feature in Mint. Unfortunately, it has decided to stop working properly and now when I launch it from the menu it does appear on the screen, but whatever character I type on that virtual keyboard it just doesn't register in the active window where the cursor is (eg. in the browser, text editor etc.).

Additionally, I don't get its characteristic icon in the system tray (near the clock) anymore, so I am unable to change its settings.

Is there any way to completely reset the settings for this onscreen keyboard so that it behaves as if it was just installed along with a new OS installation? I tried to deinstall it with the purge command:

sudo apt-get purge onboard
sudo apt-get install onboard

and then re-install it, but all the described issues persist.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Onscreen keyboard doesn't work

Post by snowflake »

im no expert but i remember once fixing typing in browser problem by:
open terminal type in:

Code: Select all

onboard-settings
go keyboard >>advanced >>Input eventtouch input:multitouch , Input event source: Xinput. or switch it back to GTK (try both?)
you can prolly get the icon back by fiddling in General>>status icon provider
good luck

Return to “Other topics”