Uninstall Linux Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintBean

Re: Uninstall Linux Mint?

Post by MintBean »

"Big rainbows deal?" Is that necessary?

You can beg to differ, but factually it's not a Mint related question.
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

MintBean wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 pm First post on the Mint site asking how to install Windows? This isn't a Mint support question.
The question is how to boot from usb inst.OS on OS Linux mint... Sry but im still a user of Linux mint and I don't see how is this offensive.
Connor96

Post by Connor96 »

USB is bootable can someone pls tell me which file system should be? Because on this USB is FAT32.
Btw im just a guy who is trying to solve a problem. Don't take it out on me.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Don't pay attention to the squabbles.

If your USB is bootable and your boot order is USB then HDD then the Windows USB should boot. I can see you verified those two things but it may not hurt to make absolutely sure.

The other thing I am curious about, and someone who knows a lot more about Windows than me can hopefully help here, is if this system came originally with Windows 10 and the BIOS secure boot was tweaked in order to install Mint. I have done this several times myself but never tried to put Windows back on a system. So I am wondering if the BIOS needs to be re-configured for Windows secure boot ?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Connor96 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:49 pm The question is how to boot from usb inst.OS on OS Linux mint...
The thing is: booting your W10 USB is a BIOS-level issue: before Mint boots it does not exist as far as your computer is concerned; Mint is not involved in any way in your BIOS booting or not booting from USB; had you had Windows installed rather than Mint then a failed boot from USB would just boot Windows; boot whatever OS were on the hard disk. That is, you can forget about Mint and need to concentrate on two issues.

First your BIOS being set to boot from USB (F12 leading you into PXE boot previously probably means you need F9 instead) and it being correctly configured wrt. legacy versus UEFI and/or secure boot -- indeed as you possibly changed when you installed Mint, only you can tell.

Second, of making very sure that you created the bootable W10 USB correctly. The best way is to do so from another Windows machine using Microsoft's own media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10. Only if you are very sure that nothing's wrong with your USB (i.e., it boots on a different system) should you look at anything other than first recreating it.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

By the way, let me add that most laptops have a restore partition which unless you deleted it when installing Mint would be a better method to restore Windows than a fresh install. If your system does have a restore partition you will be able to boot into it using some brand-specific method that (if not indicated in your BIOS setup itself) you will need to look through your system's manual for, undoubtedly available from a with the system supplied CD and the internet.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

majpooper wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:30 pm Don't pay attention to the squabbles.

If your USB is bootable and your boot order is USB then HDD then the Windows USB should boot. I can see you verified those two things but it may not hurt to make absolutely sure.

The other thing I am curious about, and someone who knows a lot more about Windows than me can hopefully help here, is if this system came originally with Windows 10 and the BIOS secure boot was tweaked in order to install Mint. I have done this several times myself but never tried to put Windows back on a system. So I am wondering if the BIOS needs to be re-configured for Windows secure boot ?
It doesn't. I experimented for awhile with Windows 10 as my main system and ran Mint 19 in a VM; this replaced a dual-boot Win10/Mint that had (and stilll has) Secure Boot disabled.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Just as a confirmation that you can, at least, boot from an USB stick, would it be possible to load a completely different Linux OS onto a memory stick and try and boot from that. e.g. if you are running Cinnamon DE, try a MATE DE so that when it boots, you know for certain that you are in the USB OS and not the one on your system.

The reason for this is just to confirm that you are actually booting from the USB stick and not making a newbie mistake and booting from the HDD despite your selections. e.g. my system boots so quickly that if I do not press the F12 (boot selection in my system) at the right time, it just boots into MINT anyway.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Other topics”