Backup 19 - questions for whole system backup

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DD4711
Level 1
Level 1

Backup 19 - questions for whole system backup

Post by DD4711 »

Hello,

I want to use with Tara Timeshift and the standard mint backup tools for whole system backup. To backup everything (home and system) I have to use these two tools, right?

I'm wondering if mint backup is practicable: the tool has no profiles and no scheduler?! Do I really have to set the backup options every time I want to backup my home?! Second question: hidden files are not backed up by default?! Isn't this dangerous for user who aren't familiar with Linux? E.g. thunderbird saves all the mail data in a hidden folder. I tested a backup and left the folder with no name in the config window for hidden files. Not one hidden file / folder were backed up?! Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to select really all hidden files and folders to backup them? I tested it with .thunderbird and then this folder was included in backup...

Is it possible to backup with Timeshift to an encrypted HDD or to set up encrypted backup in Timeshift? I can't find any information about that.

Sorry for the questions of principle. But I am sometimes really wondering about such things...

Thanks for answers and maybe a little discussion ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Backup 19 - questions for whole system backup

Post by ajgringo619 »

I would personally would use Clonezilla for the whole-system backup, that way you're guaranteed to get everything.
DD4711
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DD4711 »

Yes that's true, I used clonezilla a lot BUT it is a not made for restoring just some files... or restore just a system state
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Agreed. I use (3) programs:
  • Timeshift (for restoring the system state)
    I formatted / with BTRFS to better integrate with Timeshift
  • Backintime (for /home)
  • Clonezilla (for disaster recovery)
    I make a full disk backup 1/week
Is this overkill? Probably, but I've never lost anything important and resetting my system after a bad decision has been a breeze.
DD4711
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DD4711 »

This is also my intention. no, this is not overkill. I am doing that same way. A tool like True Image would be great. It covers all three points!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DD4711 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:23 am Not one hidden file / folder were backed up?! Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to select really all hidden files and folders to backup them?
Well, it wasn't joking when it told you:

The backup tool is mainly meant to backup your data, not your settings, that's why the hidden files and folders are excluded. There are easier ways to create an archive of your entire home folder, including just right-clicking it in your file explorer and selecting to compress.
DD4711
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DD4711 »

That's right, gm10, BUT: a standard tool in Linux environments like thunderbird saves mail data (and configs) in hidden folders! That's my sticking point.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DD4711 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm That's right, gm10, BUT: a standard tool in Linux environments like thunderbird saves mail data (and configs) in hidden folders! That's my sticking point.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Personally I think the Backup Tool is very misleading when it says "Your files, settings and the contents of your home directory" will get backed up because the average user probably has no idea that application data and settings are typically found in hidden files/folders. Same for the list of installed applications, which does not actually include anything you installed via Synaptic, the command line, or anything else that isn't Software Manager.

If it was up to me I'd just remove the tool, the entire concept is too broken to fix, just replace it with another solution. But I'm just a fellow user so all I can do is tell you how it works and to better use something else. :)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

DD4711 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:23 amI want to use with Tara Timeshift and the standard mint backup tools for whole system backup. To backup everything (home and system) I have to use these two tools, right?
There are a bunch of ways to do that. I use (g)rsync, but I'm a semi-Luddite
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Other topics”