Install_English_Menus_(non US) SOLVED

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gee7

Install_English_Menus_(non US) SOLVED

Post by Gee7 »

Hello
US English is a rich language but being born and bred in England, I should like my menus to be in British English. I suppose people from Australia, India, Ireland, the Philippines and other countries would prefer to use their natural spelling and syntax too.

The words "Center" and "Favorites" are not international computerese, they are just 2 words used by speakers of American English, yet since Bill Gates and his team first introduced computers with a GUI and Menus, regional speakers of English all over the world have been forced to use the American dialect words. I first started using computers as a complete novice in November 2001 and I was surprised to see my menus in American English, since then I have been waiting patiently for an update for 8 years. Some people might say that I have been too patient, and yes, I have to admit, often I am one of the silent herd who doesn't speak out when he/she should. I have noted that many teenagers now write "Sports Center" and "Job Center" etc because they have grown up with Microsoft menus and ideas.

For a skilled programmer, it should be only 5 or 10 minutes work to access the code and update the spelling. Could LinuxMint be the first operating system in the world to really use English (UK)? Please, someone from the Mint programming team, could you give us our language back?

My own skills are limited but if support on this is not available at this time, could anyone direct me on how and where to access the operating system code, and if it's possible to make corrections to the LinuxMint Menu via the terminal? I need to see Control Centre and Favourites when I log in to my favourite O/S.

Thanks.

I love my LinuxMint-7.

gee7

Microsoft was a well-known late 20th century operating system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Install_English_Menus_(non US)

Post by emorrp1 »

LOL! Love the idea - I've "translated" mintMenu here (en_GB): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p161206 It should be included with the next translation update. Are there any other tools that need translating? mintMenu involved a total of 8 changes:
center --> centre
initialize --> initialise
favorites --> favourites x4
colors --> colours x2

EDIT 2: mintMenu v4.7.7 includes the translation!

Unfortunately it's not just Microsoft's fault, all the web standards use a "color" attribute that I've learnt to hate (and the only reason my computer is still set to american spell checkers). To be honest, I probably speak "panglish" that is, the language of the internet, so I probably do use color occasionally. A few more pet niggles: "z"s (see above), license, check and "math" (oh, and now learned, which I just noticed in my spell-checker). These also tend to compound with grammar errors: e.g. your, its, apostrophes in general, off of,

p.s. typo in your last comment, it should be Microsoft was a well-know late 20th century operating system manufacturer.

EDIT: just translated mintInstall: license --> licence and I've checked the others, can't find anything else that needs translating.
Gee7

Re: Install_English_Menus_(non US)

Post by Gee7 »

This is a marvel! Many thanks, emorrp1, for putting in that work. It's a small change for Linux Mint but a huge step for the UK.

Incident at Mint Forum 17 June 2009: I wait 8 years, gloomily letting the pressure build up inside, longing to see my own language on computers in my country, and then I make a post on Linux Mint and the update is supplied the next morning. How can this happen? What if I make a post requesting to win the rollover on Saturday? Can you make that happen too, emorrp1? Is this what Ayatollah Ali Khamenei would call a "divine wind"?

:D :D :D

I agree with your comments about the use of "z" for "s" and the spelling changes of "maths" to "math" and "licence" to "license". Perhaps we should look at the misuse of a capital letter after a dash and a colon in mobile phone text messages next ...

The only other point that caught my attention was on the homepage http://www.linuxmint.com/start/gloria/.

The menu above the Google search bar shows Web Images Video News Maps Gmail more ... It should read Web Images Video News Maps Google mail more ...

The change to "Google mail" is not pleasing on the eye maybe (too long and lacking style) but it is exact.

For legal reasons, in the UK we cannot get a Gmail email address, only a Google mail address (the same applies to France). On creating a "Gmail" account, some people here thought that they would get a my_name@gmail.com address and they were disappointed when they received a my_name@google.com address instead.

That change is minor and I only mention it because the word "Gmail" can mislead and raise expectations of getting a snappy email address.

Concerning the error in the last line of my post, duly noted ... I whipped that in at the last minute before posting, and it slipped past my visual check :-)

Thanks again, emorrp1. I am really delighted with this update. If I come across any languages errors I shall post them for you but I think Mint is getting close to perfection now. Long Live LinuxMint!

gee7

Microsoft was a well-known late 20th century operating system manufacturer.
emorrp1

Re: Install_English_Menus_(non US) SOLVED

Post by emorrp1 »

to the best of my knowledge you get a username when signing up with google, and that enables all the addresses like username@gmail.com username@googlemail.com etc. Try it, it works!
Gee7

Post by Gee7 »

Hello emorrp1

Though I don't like to feel tied to one search engine, and often use Clusty or CometQuery or Ask Jeeves rather than Google, I did try to get a my_name@gmail address (like gee@gmail.com) and I went through the process of creating an account through Google at http://www.google.co.uk/. When I had finished creating my gmail account, Google presented me with a my_name@google.com address instead!

So I googled "GMail Google mail what?" or something like that and I found an answer stating that in England and France we are not permitted to register a my_name@gmail.com address. There were several posts by disappointed people. I think if we took a holiday to Germany or Spain we could create a gmail account there, but not in the UK.

For myself, I deleted my my_name@google.com account and use my yahoo email address instead.

I have just looked at your post at viewtopic.php?f=162&t=25447&p=161206#p161206 and I feel proud that I was some inspiration, so thanks again.

The code looks interesting and I shall learn from it. You are a credit to to the Linux Community.

Best wishes

gee7

Microsoft was a well-known late 20th century operating system manufacturer.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Ok, fair enough, found this: http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/e ... email.html but I'm pretty sure I only registered mine after 2005, and sending mail to the gmail address works too.
Gee7

Post by Gee7 »

Thanks, emorrp1. It's an informative link.

gee7

Microsoft was a well-known 20th century operating system manufacturer.

Return to “Other topics”