programming error in aptdaemon

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rjf1
Level 1
Level 1

programming error in aptdaemon

Post by rjf1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 am

I installed MATE 19. Tried to install packages from the repository, but always got the following message:

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.

Details:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions for what to do? TIA

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: programming error in aptdaemon

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:56 am

As per your error message, more likely you had a problem with your dbus-daemon and re-logging should clear it, but for anybody to tell you if they can reproduce your problem it might be helpful if you told them at least the command you were trying to execute...

rjf1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: programming error in aptdaemon

Post by rjf1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:51 am

I see that in my original message I mistakenly wrote that the file was in a repository -- it wasn't. I was trying to use gdebi to install a local package. It crashed with the message I posted above. I was able to install the package from the command line, though.

Return to “Other topics”