programming error in aptdaemon

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rjf1

programming error in aptdaemon

Post by rjf1 »

I installed MATE 19. Tried to install packages from the repository, but always got the following message:

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.

Details:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions for what to do? TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: programming error in aptdaemon

Post by gm10 »

As per your error message, more likely you had a problem with your dbus-daemon and re-logging should clear it, but for anybody to tell you if they can reproduce your problem it might be helpful if you told them at least the command you were trying to execute...
rjf1

Post by rjf1 »

I see that in my original message I mistakenly wrote that the file was in a repository -- it wasn't. I was trying to use gdebi to install a local package. It crashed with the message I posted above. I was able to install the package from the command line, though.
hughh

Post by hughh »

rjf1 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 am I installed MATE 19. Tried to install packages from the repository, but always got the following message:

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.

Details:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Has anyone else seen this?
I got exactly the same messages trying to install the Vivaldi web browser with gdebi. It's a new installation of Linux Mint 19.2. Adding the repository and installing Vivaldi from the command line worked, but I'd like to fix whatever is wrong with aptdaemon.

Any suggestions on how to fix or on how to figure out what is wrong?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

hughh wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 pm Any suggestions on how to fix or on how to figure out what is wrong?
Excluded a few culprits in this more recent thread but haven't figured out what's wrong yet (unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue myself or this would be easy):
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=302704

As a workaround you can install Ubuntu's version of gdebi which does not use aptdaemon.
hughh

Post by hughh »

gm10 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:45 pm
hughh wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 pm Any suggestions on how to fix or on how to figure out what is wrong?
As a workaround you can install Ubuntu's version of gdebi which does not use aptdaemon.
Thanks for the quick response, gm10! For my purposes, a workaround is sufficient.

Return to “Other topics”