Mint 19 XFCE - Regularly freezing and requiring hard reset.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
owl130y

Mint 19 XFCE - Regularly freezing and requiring hard reset.

Post by owl130y »

As the title says, system freezes regularly. I only ever use Firefox, LibreCalc, Ace Stream or VLC and it has happened while using all 4 as well as when using nothing at all or while transition between windows, or even opening a program. I'm not a Linux guru, but I'm also not stupid or unwilling to find a solution myself, but i have been unable to figure it out as of yet, nor do i have any knowledge to help make this easier for those of you who can help me. I am able to follow instructions though.

I have skimmed multiple forums and tried a list of different solutions, none of which have obviously resolved it, none of which i can remember what i did or what it did to attempt to resolve it. The only thing i haven't tried is upgrading to non free drivers for all my hardware, I'm a poor man, single dad to 3 kids. spending money on something like this isn't an option i really want to really explore

Help please, i don't want to revert to windows or another distro. I really like Mint if it wasn't for this issue.

owl130y@Owl130y:~$ inxi -Fxz

System:
Host: Owl130y Kernel: 4.15.0-33-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Machine:
Device: desktop System: Acer product: Aspire X3812 serial: N/
Mobo: Acer model: WG43M serial: N/
BIOS: AMI v: P01-A1 date: 09/30/2009

CPU:
Dual core Pentium E5400 (-MCP-)
arch: Penryn rev.10 cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10773
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2693 MHz 2: 2693 MHz

Graphics:
Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G45/G43
version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes

Audio:
Card-1 Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Logitech Webcam C270 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-003
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-33-generic

Network:
Card-1: Intel 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: c880 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>

Card-2: Realtek RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
driver: rtl8192ee port: e800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>

Drives:
HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (11.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD5000AAKS size: 500.1GB

Partition:
ID-1: / size: 458G used: 54G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0

RAID:
No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present

Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

Info:
Processes: 185 Uptime: 13 min Memory: 1562.6/2967.1MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Mint 19 XFCE - Regularly freezing and requiring hard reset.

Post by JoeFootball »

owl130y wrote:Help please, i don't want to revert to windows or another distro. I really like Mint if it wasn't for this issue.
Given your CPU and RAM, have you tried LM 18.3 Xfce? It may suit you better, and it's still supported until April 2021.

Joe
owl130y

Post by owl130y »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 am
owl130y wrote:Help please, i don't want to revert to windows or another distro. I really like Mint if it wasn't for this issue.
Given your CPU and RAM, have you tried LM 18.3 Xfce? It may suit you better, and it's still supported until April 2021.

Joe
Is my hardware the reason for the crashes? I'd like to understand why it's crashing and try to resolve without having to downgrade the OS
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

It may just be the 4.15 series linux kernel that is causing this. I have read in these forums quite a few problems with it. Mint 18.3 comes with an earlier kernel, which may work better for you.
I'm not on Mint 19 so I do not know which kernels are available. (Mint Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

owl130y wrote:Is my hardware the reason for the crashes? I'd like to understand why it's crashing and try to resolve without having to downgrade the OS
Could be. I do know that some people have had challenges with LM 19, especially on less robust hardware, hence my suggestion.

Does LM 19 have new features that your system requires? I've waded, but not yet dove into those waters, as I don't typically put any of my Production boxes into something that was just released. Realize that the LM 18.x branch isn't a downgrade, and has had years of development behind it, and years of support ahead of it.

That all said, you could always start with testing the RAM. MemTest should be one of the boot options on the LM installation media.

Joe
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi owl...i totally get it as far as finances are concerned...im old, retired, with three kids myself (3 feral rescue cats im taming, reminds me of my teenagers many yrs ago),...lol...your running a machine that was made in sept 2009 so you've got hardware limitations...ive converted by last count now, 78 machines to linux of one flavour or another...when i see an older machine like yours with your hardware specs, i generally recommend a distro called peppermint 9 linux , which is their latest version, which is a blend of xfce/lxde desktop which is actually lighter on older hardware than even LM xfce which is what your running right now...it runs pretty much identical to LM 19 xfce just so your not afraid of a further learning curve, and the same terminal commands, software etc. that your already running in mint will also run in peppermint, it is even using the LM software manager for its repository and the update manager is near identical...im actually typing to you now on my experimental 11 year old asus eee pc machine with only 1 gig of ram and an atom processor at only 1.66 ghz...i have zero system freezes...it should have been retired years ago but im able to run peppermint comfortably on it at present...so if you decide to, give it a try, you can still use this forum for help by submitting help request to the "chat about linux" part of the forum since that covers all linux, not just LM...the peppermint forum is ok but not near as active with only 30,000 members verses Mints over 100,000 members and this forum is sooooo much better to get fast and accurate answers...your running 64 bits right now. im providing a link below for you to find it...let us know how things work out for you...we will all be here to help no matter what you decide is best for your circumstances...DAMIEN

https://peppermintos.com/
owl130y

Post by owl130y »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am hi owl...i totally get it as far as finances are concerned...im old, retired, with three kids myself (3 feral rescue cats im taming, reminds me of my teenagers many yrs ago),...lol...your running a machine that was made in sept 2009 so you've got hardware limitations...ive converted by last count now, 78 machines to linux of one flavour or another...when i see an older machine like yours with your hardware specs, i generally recommend a distro called peppermint 9 linux , which is their latest version, which is a blend of xfce/lxde desktop which is actually lighter on older hardware than even LM xfce which is what your running right now...it runs pretty much identical to LM 19 xfce just so your not afraid of a further learning curve, and the same terminal commands, software etc. that your already running in mint will also run in peppermint, it is even using the LM software manager for its repository and the update manager is near identical...im actually typing to you now on my experimental 11 year old asus eee pc machine with only 1 gig of ram and an atom processor at only 1.66 ghz...i have zero system freezes...it should have been retired years ago but im able to run peppermint comfortably on it at present...so if you decide to, give it a try, you can still use this forum for help by submitting help request to the "chat about linux" part of the forum since that covers all linux, not just LM...the peppermint forum is ok but not near as active with only 30,000 members verses Mints over 100,000 members and this forum is sooooo much better to get fast and accurate answers...your running 64 bits right now. im providing a link below for you to find it...let us know how things work out for you...we will all be here to help no matter what you decide is best for your circumstances...DAMIEN

https://peppermintos.com/
So an update in my situation, I have tried this and left the world of Mint. I honestly prefer mint. But peppermint works for my very basic needs so will continue with it and revisit mint on a better PC when I am able to. Thanks for the help
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

you are totally welcome owl...i am most happy that my recommendation did help out your situation, and dont forget the "chat about linux" portion of the forum...i run alot of peppermint systems here in alamogordo and if you need any help at all, not only myself, but others here as well run many different linux systems and would be most happy to be of assistance to you...DAMIEN

Return to “Other topics”