30 minute crash

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux_Mint_User

30 minute crash

Post by Linux_Mint_User »

Hi folks, my first time here.

System:- ASRock G31M-S R2
Intel Q8300@2.5GHz
2TB HDD
120GB SSD

Dual boot Win 7 and Mint 17 Qiana
Mint is on the SSD

Old but a very stable system and reasonably quick, Mint 30 sec boot, 5 sec shut down,
it has served me well the last few years.

I decided to move up to Mint 19 Mate and that's when things went pear shaped with a
30 minute crash, the monitor turns off, system reset button dead, pull the plug.
This happens from a live DVD or a USB, if the computer is being used or if left idle.
Have tried other distros, Mint 18, Mint 17.3, Manjaro, Sabayon etc all hit the half hour crash.
Only Mint 17 Qiana and and old Sabayon 11 work.

Up to the crash the other distros work smoothly with no lag or other indication of problems so
I think the system is capable apart from this glitch, any ideas please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: 30 minute crash

Post by catweazel »

Linux_Mint_User wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:09 am Have tried other distros, Mint 18, Mint 17.3, Manjaro, Sabayon etc all hit the half hour crash.
Only Mint 17 Qiana and and old Sabayon 11 work.
That should tell you your gear is too old for newer OSen. You may need to look at Antix or MX Linux, or perhaps Puppy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Linux_Mint_User

Re: 30 minute crash

Post by Linux_Mint_User »

Happens with puppy as well

Return to “Other topics”