Wi-Fi signal booster

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
magicchance

Wi-Fi signal booster

Post by magicchance »

I need to boost a weak Wi-Fi signal. Is there already a device on the retail market that you can set to a specific signal, which then traps and amplifies it, then sends it out as a Bluetooth signal to your PC or phone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Wi-Fi signal booster

Post by gm10 »

Ignoring the bluetooth part, since I don't think you actually meant that, if you want to boost Wi-Fi strength/range then yes, there are plenty devices, look for something of this type: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_repeater
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:45 pm Ignoring the bluetooth part, since I don't think you actually meant that, if you want to boost Wi-Fi strength/range then yes, there are plenty devices, look for something of this type: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_repeater
I did mean it actually. I'd like something that acts like a 5g Wi-Fi antennae, can be set to capture a specific signal, then boost that signal, and then send it out via Bluetooth.

Am I asking too much?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

magicchance wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:54 am I did mean it actually. I'd like something that acts like a 5g Wi-Fi antennae, can be set to capture a specific signal, then boost that signal, and then send it out via Bluetooth.

Am I asking too much?
Depends on the specific signal. Are we just talking about a wlan to bluetooth bridge?
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:59 am
magicchance wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:54 am I did mean it actually. I'd like something that acts like a 5g Wi-Fi antennae, can be set to capture a specific signal, then boost that signal, and then send it out via Bluetooth.

Am I asking too much?
Depends on the specific signal. Are we just talking about a wlan to bluetooth bridge?
I suppose that's it. I live in an apartment complex and the Wi-Fi signal from the managers office us really weak in my place. So I'd like to be able to trap it and boost it for my own use without getting the staff involved. But that also means working on my end with just the signal as-is, and no mods to the office hardware. Just find the signal by name from a list of possible Wi-Fi signals same as when I logon my PC and go from there.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

magicchance wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm I suppose that's it. I live in an apartment complex and the Wi-Fi signal from the managers office us really weak in my place. So I'd like to be able to trap it and boost it for my own use without getting the staff involved. But that also means working on my end with just the signal as-is, and no mods to the office hardware. Just find the signal by name from a list of possible Wi-Fi signals same as when I logon my PC and go from there.
Well, that's a whole different story. How do you want to boost the signal if it's not yours? Did you plan on installing the repeater at a neighbor's? All that's left in that situation is boosting the reception. Running some wire down the side of your apartment complex to serve as an antenna would surely do it, but maybe you can find a more compact solution. :mrgreen:
magicchance

Post by magicchance »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:14 pm
Well, that's a whole different story. How do you want to boost the signal if it's not yours? Did you plan on installing the repeater at a neighbor's? All that's left in that situation is boosting the reception. Running some wire down the side of your apartment complex to serve as an antenna would surely do it, but maybe you can find a more compact solution. :mrgreen:
I'm not trying to do anything shady. I'm entitled to use this Wi-Fi. It comes free with my rent. I have the password legitimately. It's just that THEY don't have a repeater here in the complex, so the signal gets weaker the further you are from the front office. So I'm just looking for a quick easy way to boost it on my end without getting anyone else involved from the office.

For example, I already have a 5g antenna which reads that signal to 2 bars. Normally it just goes straight into my PC and that's that. Then I got to wondering whether or not it was possible to boost it between the antenna and the PC, and whether or not it could be converted to Bluetooth. That way, my phone could benefit as well.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

get one of these, https://www.netgear.com/home/products/n ... fault.aspx
this is a pretty good one https://www.netgear.com/home/products/n ... X7000.aspx

preferably a 5g model as that will have the best bandwidth for your situation.
the ones with 3 antennas work better, if you will orient them like in the picture.
45° left, vertical, and 45° right. that gives the best chance of bouncing the signal to/from you and the office.

Talk with a neighbor at about 50% of the distance between you and the office.
see about setting this WiFi repeater up in their apartment in an out of the way place, but clear of metal junk.
explain that it will give them better WiFi service also ( should help them work with you)

that should do the job quite nicely.

a friend of mine has two of them, one in his home, and one in his shop about 200 feet away.
w/o the repeater in the shop, his internet was almost useless, now it does pretty good.
and at almost no loss of bandwidth for him....
his ISP can only provide 5mbps anyway.

you mentioned you have a 5g antenna, is that a Yagi ?
if so, use it for the center antenna on the repeater and point to the office.

this thing is much more sensitive than the adapter in your pc, it might do the job placed in your home closer to the office, it sure would saturate everything around it for a good long ways.

One of the Netgear models has a 5 watt transmitter, give them a phone call and explain what you need to do.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

magicchance wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 am For example, I already have a 5g antenna which reads that signal to 2 bars. Normally it just goes straight into my PC and that's that. Then I got to wondering whether or not it was possible to boost it between the antenna and the PC, and whether or not it could be converted to Bluetooth. That way, my phone could benefit as well.
So the connection at 2 bars is still fast enough for you? So the story changes again. In this situation you don't need any booster at all, just place that wlan to bluetooth bridge in your apartment. I'm still not sold on this bluetooth idea by the way. Every phone from this century does wlan.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

2bars or 50 bars isn't going to make a difference in speed. If you are losing signal then yes it will make a difference. If you are getting noise that interferes with the signal then this will make a difference, but increasing the signal also increases the noise. Perhaps a filter is needed? If it is free in that area you speak then there are many probably using it and this will decrease speeds.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:45 am 2bars or 50 bars isn't going to make a difference in speed.
Don't the NM bars factor in SNR? I thought they did, but I'd have to check. If it's just pure dB then you would be correct.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Here is a good read on it. A directional antenna could help filter out noise and increase signal.
https://www.networkworld.com/article/22 ... rence.html
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
skylinestar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skylinestar »

I'm on a similar boat as OP. I'm in the dorm, trying to pull a wifi from my library approx 800 meter away. I'm planning to buy a TP-Link CPE210 as I've read that it can work in client mode as a strong wifi receiver. Is this the correct method?
Intel Pentium E5800, Biostar G31M+ v6.1, Kingston 2x2GB DDR2-800, Galaxy GeForce GT440, Crucial M4-CT128 SSD, D-Link DFE-520TX (Rhine-III rev 8b), RT5370 WiFi, Corsair VS550, Aigo Blade 2, Dell E190S, Linux Mint 19 Mate
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

skylinestar wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 am I'm on a similar boat as OP. I'm in the dorm, trying to pull a wifi from my library approx 800 meter away. I'm planning to buy a TP-Link CPE210 as I've read that it can work in client mode as a strong wifi receiver. Is this the correct method?
IF, the TP link has better Receiver Sensitivity, and a more Powerful transmitter, then yes that could be helpful.

and, using a Yagi Antenna or 90° Reflector around the TP link's antenna would help....
trying to use a metal reflector behind an existing antenna is very problematic though, the actual distance between the antenna and the reflector is extremely critical... on the order of a few milliMeters.

best to use a Yagi antenna designed for the purpose.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

skylinestar wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 am I'm on a similar boat as OP. I'm in the dorm, trying to pull a wifi from my library approx 800 meter away. I'm planning to buy a TP-Link CPE210 as I've read that it can work in client mode as a strong wifi receiver. Is this the correct method?
Please don't hijack someone else's post. It's against forum rules.

Return to “Other topics”