Which VPN

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Which VPN

Post by Howard_P »

Hi, I'd like to use a VPN in this era of surveillance... Can folks suggest VPNs that work well (provide good privacy and are easy to install/maintain) with Tara? Thanks. -Howard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which VPN

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

valentino wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:42 amProtoVPN
Suspect that you meant ProtonVPN :wink:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Howard_P wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm Hi, I'd like to use a VPN in this era of surveillance... Can folks suggest VPNs that work well (provide good privacy and are easy to install/maintain) with Tara? Thanks. -Howard
I use VyprVPN. Fast and not too expensive.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

Howard_P wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm Hi, I'd like to use a VPN in this era of surveillance... Can folks suggest VPNs that work well (provide good privacy and are easy to install/maintain) with Tara? Thanks. -Howard
I'm not a 'heavy vpn user' but I have found PIA (Private Internet Access) to be very solid when needed.
For quick 'casual usage' I sometimes use the free vpn that comes with Opera browser.
bertradio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bertradio »

I have used PIA on several machines in the US and all over Europe and Africa. Very dependable, fast and works well with Linux.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I use PIA, and a couple of my friends have started using it, too. Now and then I do come across a website that I have to turn the VPN off to access, but other than that, quite happy with it. (Their interface has a spot to report blocked sites.) PIA does not keep any records of what you do, and that has been verified by them not having anything to turn over when they were subpoenaed. Also, PIA is a Mint sponsor.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Faust

Post by Faust »

3 key factors :-

1] geographic location ( and the relevant jurisdiction )
2] logging policy
3] leaks

In recent times , various previously " well-respected " VPN services have publicly soiled themselves ,
by turning over logs under legal pressure .
Logs that they claimed in their publicity to have never made or stored !

I'm reluctant to make recommendations , but PIA have not put a foot wrong , so far .
Pricing is very reasonable but I don't know if they have a free trial ( which is often useful for leak-testing ) .

There is always the option to " roll your own " VPN service of course ...... plenty of how-to info is out there on the Sprawl .
:D
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I have a paid subscription to ExpressVPN. I have it setup on my Synology router so that all my devices that connect via wired or wifi are able to connect via VPN. This includes my TV, printers, computers and iOS devices. Been using this setup for almost a year now and I'm very pleased.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
MichealHeitz

Post by MichealHeitz »

I use ExpressVPN and it is proving to be a great choice and the best service.
dwayne22

Post by dwayne22 »

I would recommend you to go with PureVPN. I have been using it on different os and devices from IOS to Linux, and it works great so far. Also, it does have 256-bit encryption, so it's more secure than other VPN Services. You can also test it by getting its 3 days VPN Trial, to make sure if its a good fit for you!
sammartin8935

Post by sammartin8935 »

I don't know about you folks but I have been using Ivacy VPN for 3 years straight. Here is why I think it is the best UK VPN
77% Discount - The best Discount in VPN industry
400+ servers in 100+ locations
Complete anonymity i.e. strict no-logs policy, Internet Kill Switch, Port Forwarding, IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
Bitcoin Payment Option
Live Chat Support
Unlimited Bandwidth

Return to “Other topics”