All users appear deleted

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
penguinboy561
Level 1
Level 1

All users appear deleted

Post by penguinboy561 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:52 pm

I attempted to log into my account with my usual password. I have never changed it on this machine. It did not work. I tried my guest account as well and it also didn't work. I'm certain of both passwords and that they go to both users. It worked as recently as yesterday. I haven't knowingly changed anything about the accounts recently.

To debug, I accessed the root command line through the GRUB menu. I ran

Code: Select all

ls /home
to see all users and nothing was returned. This is strange to me, since all the users were still listed in the GUI login menu. I added a new user to test, giving it a simple password. When I rebooted, the new user was in the login menu, but still no luck logging in. What could be going on here? I would love to avoid reinstalling if possible.

Another potentially useful detail: When I type the correct password, the machine stops and thinks for a minute, goes black, as though about to log in, then returns to the login page with no error message. When I type the wrong password, it returns a "Invalid Password" message immediately.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is how you make the code appear in a box

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: All users appear deleted

Post by rene » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Have you split of /home to its own partition? It would appear that it can't be mounted...

penguinboy561
Level 1
Level 1

Post by penguinboy561 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:55 pm

I don't think I did split /home to its own partition, but it's been a few years, so I'm not positive. Is there a way I can check? How would I remount?

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Easiest would be looking at or posting your /etc/fstab file (within code, "</>", tags). The output of df (shows mounted filesystems) and/or blkid will also be useful.

But if all of a sudden your /home partition isn't mounting automatically, there's likely a problem with your disk or file system.

[EDIT] Sorry by the way, need to be in bed in a most serious way; someone will be able to pick it up though...

Return to “Other topics”