Permission denied on files in my home dir

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am

[ split from viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278690 ]

the results of that command for me are useless, as it produces an immense array of permission denied error messages.

culling all of that out, makes it worse than just manually looking for text file.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4192
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Xed bug

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am
the results of that command for me are useless, as it produces an immense array of permission denied error messages.

culling all of that out, makes it worse than just manually looking for text file.
Yes, but your systems are known to be weird. ;) Run this to fix your file ownership: sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME.

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 23133
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Xed bug

Post by xenopeek » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:57 am

As gm10 said, that means you have some weirdness in your home directory where you're not owning your own files. Fix it :)
Image

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Xed bug

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am
the results of that command for me are useless, as it produces an immense array of permission denied error messages.

culling all of that out, makes it worse than just manually looking for text file.
Yes, but your systems are known to be weird. ;) Run this to fix your file ownership: sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME.
um, not sure that was a smart move:
as that command was runnng, I noted that every single instance, it was changing
changed ownership of '/home/john/Backup/*

I hit Control-C to stop it.
all of that is in a separate partition labeled /backup and is where all of these backup folders reside:
BackupFolders.png
Reference this:

Gparted.png

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4192
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Xed bug

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Only you would think of mounting your timeshift backups in your home folder. ;) But best not derail this thread further.

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Xed bug

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 pm
Only you would think of mounting your timeshift backups in your home folder. ;) But best not derail this thread further.
uh,
they are NOT in my home folder, they are in the separate partition /backup

that command I ran, should have had a way to exclude the home/media/backup but I didn't mention that it was set up that way.
until that command was run, there has never been one instance of that being a problem.

Timeshift automatically ignores the media folders anyway.
tsBackup.png

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 23133
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by xenopeek » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 pm
they are NOT in my home folder, they are in the separate partition /backup
That's arguing semantics. With the Timeshift backup mounted in your home directory, from a file hierarchy perspective they are in your home directory. Else the find command wouldn't have found them.

In this case you can add, I think, add the -mount option to the find command and it should not descended into filesystem parts stored on other partitions.
Image

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 am

for me, I don't need it, I have all of my files in folders where I can find them easy.
haven't lost one yet, unless I did a delete accidentally.

Semantics or not, I won't be running that command again.

User avatar
trytip
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2424
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by trytip » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:21 am

why not find what's wrong first?

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
Image

User avatar
Faust
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by Faust » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:23 am

For me it's one of those "must have " commands and it's on my command cheat-sheet , stuck to the desk .

Having files that I own but can't open is an insane situation , and that command is a one-line fix .
Call me old-fashioned ..... ageing brain ( may have been accidentally hard-wired with Unix thinking at some point ) .
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:25 am

Wouldn't it perhaps be better mounted as /media/john/backup ?
Selection_001.jpg
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:25 am
Wouldn't it perhaps be better mounted as /media/john/backup ?

Selection_001.jpg
I will look into that, I like that better.
that is the way it used to be, then I did a reinstall and just did a quickie fix.

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:33 am

The disks app is the easiest for me GUI wise to change it or in fstab editing.

Code: Select all

# /backup was on /dev/sda4 during installation
UUID=fa5463c0-4ce3-4f28-aaee-4feff690ad59 /media/mark/backup            ext4    defaults        0       2

# /storage was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=860d6bcb-38aa-4c70-aaa6-af00c09378fa /media/mark/storage           ext4    defaults        0       2
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 am

HaveaMint wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:33 am
The disks app is the easiest for me GUI wise to change it or in fstab editing.

Code: Select all

# /backup was on /dev/sda4 during installation
UUID=fa5463c0-4ce3-4f28-aaee-4feff690ad59 /media/mark/backup            ext4    defaults        0       2

# /storage was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=860d6bcb-38aa-4c70-aaa6-af00c09378fa /media/mark/storage           ext4    defaults        0       2
Okay, used the Disks app to make the change, but the icon on the Desktop showed up as a text file, instead of a Disk Icon.
backupdisplay.png
backupdisplay.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 225 times

This is how I administered the Disks App, should it have been done differently so the /backup icon shows up properly?

backup.png

when I Double Click on that TextDocument looking icon, it shows up properly as a Disk

showup.png

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:31 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 am
Maybe edit that launcher and change the icon to what you would like it to be or create a new launcher.
Selection_002.jpg
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm

I was unable to find that edit launcher app, it is not in Software Manager or Synaptic.

and when I searched on the web, just found a lot of links that weren't related to that app.
if it makes any difference, I am using 18.3 Cinnamon


Image

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm
I was unable to find that edit launcher app, it is not in Software Manager or Synaptic.
and when I searched on the web, just found a lot of links that weren't related to that app.
if it makes any difference, I am using 18.3 Cinnamon
It isn't an App, just right click on icon you have on the desktop and select properties / edit launcher. Or right click on an empty area on the desktop and create a new launcher.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4192
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by gm10 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 pm

HaveaMint wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 pm
It isn't an App, just right click on icon you have on the desktop and select properties / edit launcher. Or right click on an empty area on the desktop and create a new launcher.
It's not a launcher, it's provided by gvfs. But you're both missing the obvious. He configured "/backup" as the icon name:Image
Obviously that icon doesn't exist, that's why he gets the placeholder. Clear the icon name field and you'll get the default partition icon back. Until you break something else. :P

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks GM.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:08 pm

gm10 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 pm
HaveaMint wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 pm
It isn't an App, just right click on icon you have on the desktop and select properties / edit launcher. Or right click on an empty area on the desktop and create a new launcher.
It's not a launcher, it's provided by gvfs. But you're both missing the obvious. He configured "/backup" as the icon name:Image
Obviously that icon doesn't exist, that's why he gets the placeholder. Clear the icon name field and you'll get the default partition icon back. Until you break something else. :P
Okay,
that is the first time I have used 'Disks' so was not familiar with the ramifications of the fields.

the standard icon is back for the drive partition
icon.png
icon.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 132 times
and it wasn't broken, it just didn't react like I thought it should :oops:

Post Reply

Return to “Other topics”