Permission denied on files in my home dir

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by AZgl1800 »

[ split from viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278690 ]

the results of that command for me are useless, as it produces an immense array of permission denied error messages.

culling all of that out, makes it worse than just manually looking for text file.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Re: Xed bug

Post by gm10 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am the results of that command for me are useless, as it produces an immense array of permission denied error messages.

culling all of that out, makes it worse than just manually looking for text file.
Yes, but your systems are known to be weird. ;) Run this to fix your file ownership: sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As gm10 said, that means you have some weirdness in your home directory where you're not owning your own files. Fix it :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am the results of that command for me are useless, as it produces an immense array of permission denied error messages.

Yes, but your systems are known to be weird. ;) Run this to fix your file ownership: sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME.
um, not sure that was a smart move:
as that command was runnng, I noted that every single instance, it was changing
changed ownership of '/home/john/Backup/*

I hit Control-C to stop it.
all of that is in a separate partition labeled /backup and is where all of these backup folders reside:
BackupFolders.png
Reference this:

Gparted.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Only you would think of mounting your timeshift backups in your home folder. ;) But best not derail this thread further.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 pm Only you would think of mounting your timeshift backups in your home folder. ;) But best not derail this thread further.
uh,
they are NOT in my home folder, they are in the separate partition /backup

that command I ran, should have had a way to exclude the home/media/backup but I didn't mention that it was set up that way.
until that command was run, there has never been one instance of that being a problem.

Timeshift automatically ignores the media folders anyway.
tsBackup.png
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Permission denied on files in my home dir

Post by xenopeek »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 pmthey are NOT in my home folder, they are in the separate partition /backup
That's arguing semantics. With the Timeshift backup mounted in your home directory, from a file hierarchy perspective they are in your home directory. Else the find command wouldn't have found them.

In this case you can add, I think, add the -mount option to the find command and it should not descended into filesystem parts stored on other partitions.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

for me, I don't need it, I have all of my files in folders where I can find them easy.
haven't lost one yet, unless I did a delete accidentally.

Semantics or not, I won't be running that command again.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

why not find what's wrong first?

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
Faust

Post by Faust »

For me it's one of those "must have " commands and it's on my command cheat-sheet , stuck to the desk .

Having files that I own but can't open is an insane situation , and that command is a one-line fix .
Call me old-fashioned ..... ageing brain ( may have been accidentally hard-wired with Unix thinking at some point ) .
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Wouldn't it perhaps be better mounted as /media/john/backup ?
Selection_001.jpg
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:25 am Wouldn't it perhaps be better mounted as /media/john/backup ?

Selection_001.jpg
I will look into that, I like that better.
that is the way it used to be, then I did a reinstall and just did a quickie fix.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

The disks app is the easiest for me GUI wise to change it or in fstab editing.

# /backup was on /dev/sda4 during installation
UUID=fa5463c0-4ce3-4f28-aaee-4feff690ad59 /media/mark/backup            ext4    defaults        0       2

# /storage was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=860d6bcb-38aa-4c70-aaa6-af00c09378fa /media/mark/storage           ext4    defaults        0       2
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:33 am The disks app is the easiest for me GUI wise to change it or in fstab editing.

# /backup was on /dev/sda4 during installation
UUID=fa5463c0-4ce3-4f28-aaee-4feff690ad59 /media/mark/backup            ext4    defaults        0       2

# /storage was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=860d6bcb-38aa-4c70-aaa6-af00c09378fa /media/mark/storage           ext4    defaults        0       2
Okay, used the Disks app to make the change, but the icon on the Desktop showed up as a text file, instead of a Disk Icon.
backupdisplay.png

This is how I administered the Disks App, should it have been done differently so the /backup icon shows up properly?

backup.png

when I Double Click on that TextDocument looking icon, it shows up properly as a Disk

showup.png
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 am
Maybe edit that launcher and change the icon to what you would like it to be or create a new launcher.
Selection_002.jpg
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I was unable to find that edit launcher app, it is not in Software Manager or Synaptic.

and when I searched on the web, just found a lot of links that weren't related to that app.
if it makes any difference, I am using 18.3 Cinnamon

HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm I was unable to find that edit launcher app, it is not in Software Manager or Synaptic.
and when I searched on the web, just found a lot of links that weren't related to that app.
if it makes any difference, I am using 18.3 Cinnamon
It isn't an App, just right click on icon you have on the desktop and select properties / edit launcher. Or right click on an empty area on the desktop and create a new launcher.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 pm It isn't an App, just right click on icon you have on the desktop and select properties / edit launcher. Or right click on an empty area on the desktop and create a new launcher.
It's not a launcher, it's provided by gvfs. But you're both missing the obvious. He configured "/backup" as the icon name:Image
Obviously that icon doesn't exist, that's why he gets the placeholder. Clear the icon name field and you'll get the default partition icon back. Until you break something else. :P
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Thanks GM.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 pm
HaveaMint wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 pm It isn't an App, just right click on icon you have on the desktop and select properties / edit launcher. Or right click on an empty area on the desktop and create a new launcher.
It's not a launcher, it's provided by gvfs. But you're both missing the obvious. He configured "/backup" as the icon name:Image
Obviously that icon doesn't exist, that's why he gets the placeholder. Clear the icon name field and you'll get the default partition icon back. Until you break something else. :P
Okay,
that is the first time I have used 'Disks' so was not familiar with the ramifications of the fields.

the standard icon is back for the drive partition
icon.png
and it wasn't broken, it just didn't react like I thought it should :oops:

Return to “Other topics”