Compose Key not working in Linux Mint 19

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShadWolf

Compose Key not working in Linux Mint 19

Post by ShadWolf »

I'm having some issues getting my Compose Key to work in Mint 19, I upgraded from 18.3 a while ago, and I had my compose key configured to Left Win Key, but for some reason it's not working at all like it normally should in LM19 using the Left Win Key in my Keyboard Preferences.

Configuration:

Code: Select all

System Preferences:
    >> Keyboard
        >> Layouts
            >> [Options...]
                >> Position of Compose key
                [x] Left Win
Expected Result:

Press [Left Win] key once, and type compose a unicode character, ie; Copyright Sign [U+00A9] unicode character O + c => ©

This is a quicker and simpler form of being able to type unicode characters without knowing the actual unicode alphanumeric codes. Instead what's happening is when I press my Compose Key, nothing happens, doesn't enter Unicode Compose mode like it usually should do.

Q: Have you tried turning it ON and OFF again or chosing different compose keys?
A: Yes, many times, no effect, no matter what key I select.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Compose Key not working in Linux Mint 19

Post by kyphi »

Since you posted your question in the Main Edition Support, I assume that you are using Cinnamon.

Pressing the left Win key shows the Main Menu.

Holding down Shift+Ctrl and typing u00a9 produces © when Shift+Ctrl are released.

Pressing the specified Compose key followed by O and c produces ©.

Considering that the left Win key already has an assigned function, specify a different key to act as Compose key. I use the Caps Lock key. See if the Caps Lock key works for you.

To set the Compose key, open System Settings, Hardware, Keyboard, Layouts, Options, Position of Compose key - and place a tick next to your chosen key.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
MichealHeitz

Post by MichealHeitz »

kyphi wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:20 pm Since you posted your question in the Main Edition Support, I assume that you are using Cinnamon.

Pressing the left Win key shows the Main Menu.

Holding down Shift+Ctrl and typing u00a9 produces © when Shift+Ctrl are released.

Pressing the specified Compose key followed by O and c produces ©.

Considering that the left Win key already has an assigned function, specify a different key to act as Compose key. I use the Caps Lock key. See if the Caps Lock key works for you.

To set the Compose key, open System Settings, Hardware, Keyboard, Layouts, Options, Position of Compose key - and place a tick next to your chosen key.
Or you can also check these steps if using Cinnamon

Run the keyboard application (from menu or from the settings).

Choose the Layouts tab.

At the right bottom of the window, you've a Options... button.

You've then access to different options, including "Keyboard Layout Options".
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

what component of the mint system handles compose key??? It is clear that ibus breaks it, and all i want to do at this point is have my compose key back.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE

Return to “Other topics”