excessive ram usage

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

excessive ram usage

Post by Mister.T »

I've been trying a few fresh installs on my father's computer. His previous install was 17.3 Cinnamon, which ticked over nicely at around 350 mb of ram.
Mint 19 (set up with the the same startup applications running) uses considerably more and is a bit of a pain for his 1.7 gb of ram available. Xfce uses over 400 mb, which would be fine if it didn't have a few issues on his machine. Mate uses 560+ mb and Cinnamon 19 now uses a whopping 650+ mb of the available ram just ticking over.

Why such an increase in resources used in Mint 19?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: excessive ram usage

Post by Pjotr »

Disable all visual effects in Cinnamon:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon
(item 5.1, right column)

And while you're at it, also apply some other speed tweaks mentioned on that page.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Mister.T wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:39 pm I've been trying a few fresh installs on my father's computer. His previous install was 17.3 Cinnamon, which ticked over nicely at around 350 mb of ram.
Mint 19 (set up with the the same startup applications running) uses considerably more and is a bit of a pain for his 1.7 gb of ram available. Xfce uses over 400 mb, which would be fine if it didn't have a few issues on his machine. Mate uses 560+ mb and Cinnamon 19 now uses a whopping 650+ mb of the available ram just ticking over.

Why such an increase in resources used in Mint 19?
Pretty much as expected re ram usage/Mint desktops.
Personally I would explore correcting the issues with Xfce--and gift your Dad this Christmas with an up to date machine.
just saying
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Mister.T wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:39 pm Why such an increase in resources used in Mint 19?
Out of interest have you moved from 32bit install to a 64bit - the latter uses significantly more RAM across the board with the same desktop and hardware.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Other topics”