[SOLVED] Some questions about Mint XFCE

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j1nz6

[SOLVED] Some questions about Mint XFCE

Post by j1nz6 »

Hello guys, I'm probably going to install an XFCE distro both on my desktop and my laptop, because any of them has pretty good specs!
I wanted to ask what is the difference of Mint XFCE being a community release and not an "official" one!? Does it make it more unstable or buggy? (stupid question, I know) Just wondering.
Also, I study computer science, so I thing Mint XFCE will probably be the distro (and DE) with more stability for coding and daily usage as well, I'm I right?
Last but not list, I wanted to ask because I used Mint 19 XFCE and found them really buggy, I was going to install Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE, that I've used and I absolutely adore, at least until Mint 19.3 come out and hopefully those bugs are fixed! But is that the right way to go? Won't by using an older version miss anything that's important to have?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for those damp questions, I just wanted to ask. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Some questions about Mint XFCE

Post by xenopeek »

Where are you getting that Linux Mint Xfce is a community release? It started out as that many, many years ago but it's been a Linux Mint maintained edition for a long time now. It is no different from the Cinnamon or MATE release today.

As for stability for developers there's no difference with other editions other than your personal preferences. If you have a very low end system you may prefer Xfce because it uses a little less resources.

For development I myself would prefer Linux Mint 19 so as to not get stuck with the 3 year old Ubuntu 16.04 as a target for your development (the package base for Linux Mint 18.3). Previously you switched to Linux Mint 19 MATE but didn't share enough details about "laggy" Xfce for others to help on that.

Return to “Other topics”