Can I migrate my entire Mint install to another computer using Timeshift?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sammartin8935

Can I migrate my entire Mint install to another computer using Timeshift?

Post by sammartin8935 »

(I am aware that Timeshift does not copy all the files and user-configs by default. You'll need to configure it to save visible (user files) and hidden files (user configs) in the user home directories too.)

I would like to know if I can save Timeshift snapshots on a USB-Drive, plug them into another computer and restore that snapshot, basically copying the entire install onto another computer.
If that works, it might be possible to just clone one install onto multiple computers too.

I am currently unable to test this myself, that's why I need to ask this here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Can I migrate my entire Mint install to another computer using Timeshift?

Post by AZgl1800 »

that is not what it is designed for.

and the basic answer is no, because the hard links in the backup will not align properly in a new install.

it is great for the OS that it is used on, but not to clone the one you had.

the tool you want, is called Aptik, and is written by the same author, TJ....

I have used Aptik to clone 18.3 Cinnamon to 3 different laptops of different models and brands, and all worked perfectly.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Other topics”