[Solved] No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
V1T4MiN_
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Post by V1T4MiN_ » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi, I'm new so if I'm wrong in any way or need to include more info please let me know, thanks.
I'm on Linux mint 18.3 MATE 64bit technically but I got rid of mate a while back and I now use just cinnamon and have LxQt as a backup desktop (I do not know if all that is pertinent but it can't hurt).
Last night I decided (for the first time) to use the "purge residual configuration" button in "software sources" to try and clean up a bit, upon boot this morning it started fine (I disabled "quiet splash" in .grub config) but when it tried to go to lightdm it just kicked me to the tty console, no messages or errors or anything, it booted as if it's in no gui mode for a server, smooth as butter, I'm scared to mess with anything or trying to use "sudo lightdm" in the tty console (it was the last nail in the coffin of my last ubuntu system to try that) so I want to ask for help, please let me know how to proceed :s.

Thank you.
Regards V1T4MiN
Last edited by V1T4MiN_ on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trytip
Level 9
Level 9

Re: No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Post by trytip » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 pm

can't you use timeshift and undo your mess?

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Post by smurphos » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:00 am

Have you got your user data backed up - if not do that first.

Try this having logged in on the virtual console.

apt install slick-greeter lightdm lightdm-settings apparmor
apt purge mdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
sudo reboot

V1T4MiN_
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Post by V1T4MiN_ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks! it all works once more! :D
I did not think of reconfiguring lightdm, I guess when I used the config purger it got rid of the default config for lightdm which dpkg needed to restore with that command! Thank you so much!

Regards V1T4MiN

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Post by smurphos » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:08 pm

V1T4MiN_ wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm
Thanks! it all works once more! :D
I did not think of reconfiguring lightdm, I guess when I used the config purger it got rid of the default config for lightdm which dpkg needed to restore with that command! Thank you so much!

Regards V1T4MiN
If you've ever had mdm as your session manager on that machine it would have been purging it's residual config that killed lightdm. Been there, done that..... :)

V1T4MiN_
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No lightdm on boot after purging residual configuration from software sources

Post by V1T4MiN_ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Yeah I did have mdm, the funny thing is, I had lightdm on my fresh install of 18.3 but than I started missing the old mdm themes so I removed lightdm and installed mdm, but then I went back to lightdm after I learned that to upgrade to 19 I needed lightdm.
Do I need to mark this as solved or anything before I go?

Regards V1T4MiN

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Yes please - if you can edit your first post title to [Solved] that would be great. Glad to have helped...

V1T4MiN_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by V1T4MiN_ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:37 pm

smurphos wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:33 pm
Yes please - if you can edit your first post title to [Solved] that would be great. Glad to have helped...
Done :)

Return to “Other topics”