Å, Ä, and Ö characters on keyboard

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frits
Level 1
Level 1

Å, Ä, and Ö characters on keyboard

Post by frits »

Mint 19.

On System - keyboard there is the possibility on Keyboardoptions to add like Esparanto letters and the key to choose 3 or 5th level.
Is this option to be used to add the swedish Å, Ä, and Ö to the keyboard ? If so how can I add those (or other) characters?

Or in terminal with: setkeycodes to add those characters, can I use this?

thanks
Frits
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Å, Ä, and Ö characters on keyboard

Post by xenopeek »

You have two options.

1) You can switch to a "dead key" keyboard layout. With such a layout typing " would not show anything till you type another key after it. If you type a space it will show ", if you type a it will show ä and so on. Personally I hate that layout as you can't as easily type "hello world" and such because you constantly have to type space to make characters like " appear.

2) Alternatively in keyboard options you can set a compose key location. I've set it to the right Ctrl key. With this if you press and hold down Ctrl and type ", then release both you can type another key after it to compose them together. So Ctrl + " and release both and then type a becomes ä.

Or possibly, if you actually have these keys on your keyboard, you can enable them by picking a different keyboard layout. In MATE and Cinnamon that's relatively easy to do as you can ask for a preview (which shows you the keyboard layout you selected on the screen, so you can compare it with your actual keyboard). Xfce doesn't have such an option.

Return to “Other topics”