[SOLVED] Mate 19 installed alongside Mate 17.2. Now what?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SnuffGear

[SOLVED] Mate 19 installed alongside Mate 17.2. Now what?

Post by SnuffGear »

I installed 19 alongside 17.2 and both appear to be working fine.
Any way to get my current 17.2 setups over to 19? Would sure hate to have to redo all apps/setups.
TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mate 19 installed alongside Mate 17.2. Now what?

Post by Hoser Rob »

First thing I'd do re app setups is copy the relevant hidden config files fro the old /home to the new one. They're just text files, as you'd expect in Linux. I've reinstalled many times on my netbook (distro/DE hopping netc), which has a separate partition for /home. I've almost always kept the hidden cinfig files, no problem yet.

However, on my laptop (separate /home as well), when I installed 18.2 KDE I had a .kde config folder from my Kubuntu days. I did delete that first, it was from a Plasma 4 install, and 18.3 KDE is Plasma 5.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

I guess aptik(or aptik-gui) on github is pretty wide-reaching as far as that type of thing.

I would do a backup(timeshift for system files and mint backup for files in your user space) on the new install before you get crazy trying things.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

zcot wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 pm I guess aptik(or aptik-gui) on github is pretty wide-reaching as far as that type of thing.

I would do a backup(timeshift for system files and mint backup for files in your user space) on the new install before you get crazy trying things.
Clone zilla is an excellent backup tool
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
SnuffGear

[SOLVED] Re: Mate 19 installed alongside Mate 17.2. Now what?

Post by SnuffGear »

Actually, it was quite simple. Loaded the apps I wanted, (into 19), then transferred the config files for each app from 17.2 to the proper locations in 19 and all is well.
Thanks for the suggestions.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] Mate 19 installed alongside Mate 17.2. Now what?

Post by AndyMH »

When I upgraded 18.3 to 19.0 kept my old /home (was on a separate partition). All was fine with the old config files when I re-installed apps with one but... Evolution (LM18.3=v3.18, LM19.0=v3.28) kept complaining about my archive folders - had to delete all config files and start again - not difficult.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Other topics”