Unceremoniously kicked out to login screen

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Unceremoniously kicked out to login screen

Post by Sobieski »

Greetings.

Not sure where to post this, so here might be the best.

Today, I did a fresh install of Mint 19 (Tara) Mate onto a couple of partitions of an SSD drive. It successfully installed... ostensibly. HOWEVER, whenever I mount a drive or attempt to open something on a mounted drive, I get booted off to the login screen where I have to enter my password to get back in. When I log in, the drive that I attempted to mount remains mounted.

I am able to open the drives but not any of the content of the drives. This occurs with internal drives as well as with external drives. I've yet to edit the fstab to have the drives mounted upon booting as it is still a very fresh install (less than 12 hours old) and I'm at work as of time of writing this.

Anyone in the know having experienced this sort of thing and/or know how to deal with it?

Best: :D

Sobieski
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jglen490

Re: Unceremoniously kicked out to login screen

Post by jglen490 »

Sounds like a combination of mounting and permissions issues.

Please post the contents of /etc/fstab in a CODE box (the </> button in the reply screen).
Also, the permissions of a drive that you are manually mounting, in a CODE box.

Code: Select all

ls -al <path/of/the/drive>

Finally, the results of

Code: Select all

lsblk
in a CODE box.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

Will do... I'll keep you posted.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

Hello again.

I had a hunch to do another fresh install but with Ubuntu Mate (very traitorous of me I know!! :mrgreen:) and ended up with an even worse situation than with Mint 19 Mate in terms of being kicked off to the login screen.

In my desperation and frustration, I tried the Mint 17.3 I was using previously, but it didn't seem to handle the 4K monitor too well, so I thought I'd give Mint 19 another shot. However, this time before before running the update, I checked to see whether I would be kicked off into the login screen and I wasn't. I edited the fstab with the Disks utility to have all drives automounting on bootup, restarted and everything was working as expected. Then came to update and another restart...

End result: Everything working as expected! :lol:

It's a pity that this took days rather than hours, so I'll be reluctant to d another install any time soon.

Now I have to tweak GRUB and fix Windows to make it usable as well as take care of a few ownership and permissions issues from the reinstalled backup files. :? :mrgreen:

My thanks and gratitude go to those who were willing to offer assistance.

Wishing all a relatively issue-free Mint experience. :D
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

If you're using more than one drive then the most simple way to install is not to require a password upon boot. Then when you get eveything working, and you want to require a password, then you can do that.

If you're using Win 10, I would suggest it be on its own hdd/sdd. If Win 10 is on a shared drive with your Linux, at some point Micro will install an "upgrade". This is not the same as an update. The Upgrade will reinstall Win 10 and you won't be able to see your Linux in GRUB. This caused me so many problems that I eventually dumped Win.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

"It's a pity that this took days rather than hours, so I'll be reluctant to d another install any time soon."

i'll be blunt this sounds like a issue on YOUR end.at the time i install mint 19 i had 2 older internal drives besides my ssd and 2 usb 3 drives and not one issue with them mounting after installing mint. the only issue is that sometimes in the main file viewer they didn't show up but i'd just click on them in the navigation pane then they would populate into the file view window. now what you should of done is provided the info requested, cause giving no proof that you actually had the issue makes you look like you're just coming here to troll.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

kevin987 actually the latter part of your post is wrong. a reinstall would wipe everything from 10, it is a update a every 6 months. hence it being call a CUMULATIVE update NOT a reinstall. as for the boot grub can be fixed from the live media. i'm sure a search of the forum will turn up more than i thread on how to so it.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

In response to MrGrimm:

Careful with the libel there, bud. Don't go jumping the gun.

Regarding the issue of mounting, the issue wasn't mounting per se. It was the unwanted consequences of mounting that gave me grief and frustration; i.e., pushing me to the login screen every time. Perhaps it was my hardware. Perhaps it had something to do with my installation procedure. I don't really know. Besides, I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable with command line stuff so I didn't provide results for the code boxes and I didn't particularly wish to ride a steep learning curve at the time. I'm just happy to have my system back.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

ok i get you cause before i completely dropped windows after trying linux out again i went through more than a bit of trial and error with the file system for me to finally get a stable and speed mint install. you'll see from one of my threads i had a issue i inadvertently created with a secondary drive. as for using terminal i try to avoid it or find a posting where i can copy and paste into terminal.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

My experience with Linux has for the most part been positive even when encountering issues like the one(s) I've presented here. I've had enough of them to realize that with a little persistence, faith in Linux and positive thinking, that things work out, often in ways that are unexpected. :wink:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

Sobieski wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am My experience with Linux has for the most part been positive even when encountering issues like the one(s) I've presented here. I've had enough of them to realize that with a little persistence, faith in Linux and positive thinking, that things work out, often in ways that are unexpected. :wink:
DITTO

Return to “Other topics”