Much higher temps on 19.0 than 17.3 (78C!)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YellowJersey

Much higher temps on 19.0 than 17.3 (78C!)

Post by YellowJersey »

I recently upgraded from 17.3 MATE to 19.0 MATE (both 64-bit) and I've noticed much higher temps running 19.0. Even during simple tasks like checking my email, I'm seeing core temps as high as 78C and idling around 54C. When I was running 17.3, I'd see temps as high as 50C and idle around 32C. Using PSensor to monitor my temps. Just typing out this post, I'm sitting at around 63C.

At first, I thought it was dust or lint clogging up airflow, but I cracked her open and everything pretty clean on the inside.

inxi info:
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-3820QM (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~1382/3700 MHz
Kernel~4.15.0-39-generic x86_64 Up~1:34
Mem~2163.0/15741.5MB
HDD~1500.3GB(1.0% used)
Procs~239
Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56

Other info: system is a Lenovo T530

Any ideas? Let me know if there's any other info you need. Any help would be much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Trim
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Much higher temps on 19.0 than 17.3 (78C!)

Post by Trim »

Are you talking about CPU or GPU temps?
Are you using integrated GPU?
I have a similar problem, but it's related to the GPU.
Could it be that the integrated GPU heats the CPU which leads you to the conclusion that it's the CPU in high load?
YellowJersey

Post by YellowJersey »

Trim wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 am Are you talking about CPU or GPU temps?
Are you using integrated GPU?
I have a similar problem, but it's related to the GPU.
Could it be that the integrated GPU heats the CPU which leads you to the conclusion that it's the CPU in high load?
I'm talking CPU temps. I tinkered with the GPU configurations, switching between integrated and dedicated and it didn't seem to have an impact on my CPU temps. While running dedicated GPU (my usual setup) and doing my thing, the temp stays around 50C while some CPU cores can reach over 70C.

I use this Mint 19.0 laptop primarily for web browsing and word processing (I have a Windows partition for when I'm using photoshop). But I noticed that the CPU temps really spike whenever I check Gmail or Hotmail (above 70C). Other websites only seem to push it between 50C-65C. The CPU and GPU both idle around 50C.

I saw your other thread and disabled hardware acceleration in firefox, but it didn't seem to have an impact.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Are you also seeing higher CPU loads to accompany the higher CPU temperatures? If not, maybe it's some kind of fan-related issue. In other words, something along the lines of it not activating at the same temperature as previously, or running at a slower speed (at the same temperature) as the previous version of Mint.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Other topics”