Firefox won't update

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeepSouth

Firefox won't update

Post by DeepSouth »

I've looked around online and can't find the answer to the exact problem I'm having. Firefox just will not update. It won't automatically update, it won't manually update. This is my first time running Linux and I'm really not the most computer-savvy person out there, so if this is a stupid question please pull your punches a little.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox won't update

Post by all41 »

edited: to say welcome to Mint and the forums. Glad you're here.
You really to to say more about your setup.
Please open a terminal from your Menu or by Ctrl+Alt+T and either type or copy/paste the following terminal inquiry:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
press enter.
Then copy/paste those results back here.
Then in the same terminal window type or copy/paste:

firefox --version
Paste those results here also.

Then in the same terminal window enter or copy/paste:

mintupdate
If there are errors copy and paste those here as well.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DeepSouth wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 pm I've looked around online and can't find the answer to the exact problem I'm having. Firefox just will not update. It won't automatically update, it won't manually update. This is my first time running Linux and I'm really not the most computer-savvy person out there, so if this is a stupid question please pull your punches a little.
If you are using the Firefox that came with the Linux package, it will NOT update every time that Mozilla makes a new release.

e.g., my Win7 PC wants to update FF almost every day. that is a super PITA for me, as I use a user with super restricted rights... so I have to download the new image, and then run "Install as Administrator".

but, on Linux, until the Linux dev team makes a new release, we will not get a new update.
it will show up when it is deemed necessary.

IMO, Mozilla has gone crazy with their updates, I won't do it until it is 3 months old or more.
it just is NOT necessary.... never in 20+ years have I had a problem doing this.

However, on Linux, if the Update Manager shows an update for FF, it goes along with all the other updates.

Now, having said that. You can remove FF in Software Manager.
Then you can go to the Mozilla website and download the .deb package for Linux and install that.
IF, you do so, then your FF will update every time Mozilla releases a new update.

your choice.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

I just update Firefox when it shows up in the Update Manager. Every 2 weeks I think. I have the most current supported official release according to Wikipedia: 63.0.3

Edit: I have Firefox 63.0.3 on both Linux Mint 17.3 and 19.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
owie196

Post by owie196 »

I can't update Firefox either and am new to Linux. The update says failed to fetch packages.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

owie196 wrote:
I can't update Firefox either and am new to Linux. The update says failed to fetch packages.
I think the usual remedy for the "failed to fetch packages" message is to try a different mirror.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:18 pm
owie196 wrote:
I think the usual remedy for the "failed to fetch packages" message is to try a different mirror.
Schultz that's not the problem. See: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=283120&p=1562948#p1562948
:wink:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

The message in the thread you linked to is different, "Unable to correct missing packages."
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

DeepSouth wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 pmFirefox just will not update. It won't automatically update, it won't manually update.
1 - Do what all41 said.
2 - Rather than say "firefox won't update", provide the actual steps you did which didn't work, and the resulting messages, etc., e.g.
"I did

sudo apt-get update
and got these errors....[errors]
or
"I ran the update manager and it said ....blah blah"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pmThe message in the thread you linked to is different, "Unable to correct missing packages."
It's the same guy, who can't update because he is running Mint 15.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
philotux

Post by philotux »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pm The message in the thread you linked to is different, "Unable to correct missing packages."
Right! Couldn't explain the discrepancy, but since it's the same poster...
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Since he (owie196) is now getting a different message, hopefully he has installed a current version of Mint.

EDIT
Seeing that only 23 minutes has past between his two posts, I doubt that he has.
Last edited by Schultz on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Wait, there are two different users asking for help with two different issues in the same thread? This is confusing. Why don't people start their own threads?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
DeepSouth

Post by DeepSouth »

I appreciate the responses, I just dug my laptop out the construction project that is my house. I'll run through the suggestions tomorrow and get back with the results.

Return to “Other topics”