Is this suitable as a cron job...?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Is this suitable as a cron job...?

Post by tenfoot »

Using LinuxMint v19.0 Mate

All the data I create is saved to a Data partition and, as I prefer to do a new install when a new version of Mint is released, there are only the following files I copy to a usb stick as a backup.

(a) specified hidden files in /home/user
(b) specified directories in /home/user
(c) specified directories in /media/user/Data

First of all I create directory and name it "yyyy-mm-dd" (this is the date of creation) on the USB stick and then select and drag and drop the items into that directory

Can this be automated through cron, please.

If not, I would welcome any other suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
gm10

Re: Is this suitable as a cron job...?

Post by gm10 »

Unless your USB stick is always plugged in when the cron job runs then this doesn't sound like something you would use cron for.

That said, you could create a script or use any existing backup software (plenty in Software Manager) to handle this either on demand or on a schedule.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Timeshift can be configured to do that.

Timeshift can run on schedule or at the press of a button. I use USB 3 connected disks and run via the button click. I can then run the backup when I have finished using the computer.

All backups use a lot of space for the first backup. After the first backup, Timeshift stores only the changes. The result is a very small backup. You can run several backups a day when you are making major changes.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Anacron might do the job for you, it's installed on my system, so might be there by default, if not it's in software manager. And as others have stated, you can probably achieve what you want with timeshift/backintime.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you gm10, Petermint and AndyMH for your suggestions. I will work through them and see if I can decide upon a solution to suit my simple mind.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “Other topics”