Computer starting automatically

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
streety

Computer starting automatically

Post by streety »

Hi there
I'm working on a Dell Precision T3500 with Linux MInt 19 Cinnamon and have a strange problem. My computer is self-starting every morning at 8:00. I looked at the bios - the power-on-options are disctivated. I don't know about cron-jobs - is it possible to check if there's something under the hood explaining this strange behaviour?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Computer starting automatically

Post by capivara »

It should be a BIOS setting under "Power Management / Auto On Time.
All my computers are in Mint condition.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Is there a separate option regarding what to do after a power failure? (My mother's air conditioner has that :lol: ) and, if so, is the electricity being turned off at night and turned back on at 0800, perhaps as a money-saving thing with the company?

The computer shouldn't be able to turn itself on unless the BIOS menu (or what passes for it on newer motherboards) allows it. Unless you have a malfunctioning switch, but that would give random power-ups (and -downs), not something that follows a schedule.

Set up a webcam, maybe the cleaning staff (et cetera) is having a bit of fun with you.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You could also check if wake on lan is enabled is bios.
If so try disabling
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
JoseLagasse

Post by JoseLagasse »

Are you on bios option, if you are on the bios option then scroll down your cursor to the wake Lan.
After this simply shut your computer down and again restart it I think your problem will get solved soon.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

I used to have these problems and it could always be solved and permanently fixed on Linux.

On windows I would fix it then windows would add something to the autostart scripts on one of their infamous updates and my computer in my bedroom would wake itself and myself up at 3:00am. I suppose one of these days I should stop window bashing... but whatever. lol

Back to Linux, one of the things that was happening to me was a slight breeze from my window was moving the mouse and waking it up, that's probably not your problem though but it's worth mentioning for anyone else that might have the same problem.

You say you work on the computer so I assume it's an office computer. I think someone is messing with you and sending a wake signal over the LAN.

All of these other replies are good ones and you check those as well. Also try this and see what it shows.

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i "wake requested"
Edit:
almost forgot try this too.

sudo hwinfo | grep -i wake
if you need hwinfo

sudo apt install hwinfo

Return to “Other topics”