Under-clocked cpu on linux mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cody213

Under-clocked cpu on linux mint

Post by cody213 »

run linux mint 19 tara xfce.I have noticed that my cpu speed is set at 789mhz,but my intel cpu has capability to run on full 1.50ghz.I installed the cpufreq application trough terminal an set it to performance and i see a little improvement.It still says that it runs on 789mhz.Can I set it to full speed or maybe a little bit higher?Thanks in advance

Code: Select all

cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
driver: intel_pstate
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
hardware limits: 800 MHz - 1.50 GHz
available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 1.50 GHz.
The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency is 798 MHz.
analyzing CPU 1:
driver: intel_pstate
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
hardware limits: 800 MHz - 1.50 GHz
available cpufreq governors: performance, powersave
current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 1.50 GHz.
The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency is 798 MHz.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Under-clocked cpu on linux mint

Post by trytip »

The intel_pstate driver knows the details of the how the CPU works and it does a better job than the generic ACPI solution
intel_pstate offers only two governors, powersave and performance. Intel claims that the intel_pstate "powersave" is faster than the generic acpi governor with "performance"
i do hope before you start messing with this you have a timeshift snapshot and before you do any rash decisions test a new kernel 4.19
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Speed is going to vary depending upon the demands being made of the CPU. The governor “powersave” may decide which speed to use. You need to do something CPU intensive, that lasts long enough to check if the CPU freq came up due to demand. (Such as a Phoronix benchmark test, converting some media to a different format, etc.). I wouldn’t change anything until you verify the governor does ramp up to full speed based on demand.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
cody213

Post by cody213 »

The mhz of the cpu stays the same 789mhz even under heavy load ,then it becomes sluggish and unusable.
It offers two governors but when i put it on performance iit becomes a little better in performance but the mhz stays the same under 789mhz.
I wont do any hars and imidiate decisions but I need to know how to use the ghz the cpu offers on my laptop and I currently cant achive full performance under Linux mint tara xfce edition,and yes I am using new kernel 4.19

I even tryed tampering with local file to set the frequency manual,but with no sucess :) Thank you for your reply ...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Just as a point of reference, my laptop is set at powersave and usually remains around 800 MHz. It hardly goes to its full 2.5 GHz. As powerwagon75 said, you'll need to run something that will tax the CPU.

You can see what's happening with the CPU in System Monitor. If it's not already installed, you can get it from the Software Manager.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

In BIOS, check to see if something like turbo boost or speed stepping is active.
cody213

Post by cody213 »

It does not vary withing the range up to 1.50ghz it stays the same again,I have tryed disabling intel speedstep in bios but it remains the same...No other option in bios worth mentioning exluding Virtualization that enabled processor speed at boot up (hence hearing the fan speed increase) ..but it stopped at the speed when booting into linux mint at the startup...maybe the kernel locks the speed,or maybe it is a safety feature,by the way the laptop that Im currently using is a dell inspirion 3521 :D
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

cody213 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:53 pm It does not vary withing the range up to 1.50ghz it stays the same again,I have tryed disabling intel speedstep in bios but it remains the same...No other option in bios worth mentioning exluding maybe should I try disabling virtualization ?...
So, when you run a CPU intensive program in the background, System Monitor shows that the CPU speed doesn't go much higher?

I would leave speedstep and virtualization enabled.
cody213

Post by cody213 »

Tryed With speedstep and virtualization disabled,the best is like you recomended that it stays enabled.The current running speed is 798.232 MHz and thats pretty much it.I mean is a shame it doesnt use the full potencial of the cpu,it just stays like its stocked on the mhz that I am currently shown.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Did you run a CPU intensive program while checking the speed?
cody213

Post by cody213 »

Can you give me an example for what should i run exactly.I am still new to linux and I dont know any benchmark tools i could use...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

powerwagon75 suggests Phoronix Test Suite. I'm running it now and seems to be taxing my CPU. I first installed an applet CPU Frequency Monitor that sits in the panel and shows your current speed of the CPU.

Then in Software Manager, install Phoronix-test-suite. Then in terminal run:

Code: Select all

phoronix-test-suite gui
See what it shows in CPU Frequency Monitor.
cody213

Post by cody213 »

It says the next:
Launching Browser
WebSocket Server Active: localhost:2070
And it openes a web page with the eror ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE and shows nothing.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

cody213 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:50 pm It says the next:
Launching Browser
WebSocket Server Active: localhost:2070
And it openes a web page with the eror ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE and shows nothing.
It did that to me too, but it was taxing the CPU. Did you install the CPU Frequency Monitor and see it showed? You could also open System Monitor and see how much % either core is using.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Just to show you on my laptop, here's what System Monitor showed on a regular boot.

Little CPU usage. Then the first spike you see is when I started Google Chrome, left it running, then the next spike is when I started Thunderbird and left that running.

Most apps don't use much CPU.
Shutter_010.jpg
cody213

Post by cody213 »

Not working actually,it just openes the window and thats it,not working..I use different system monitor but no fluctuating in the mhz of the cpu...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

cody213 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:58 pm Not working actually,it just openes the window and thats it,not working..I use different system monitor but no fluctuating in the mhz of the cpu...
What system monitor are you using? While using that, try opening your browser and other programs and see if the CPU usage spikes.
cody213

Post by cody213 »

It is called SysInfo...and I tryed and it doesnt show any spikes ..it stays at 789mhz and gets sluggish..
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Sysinfo will only show you a static number (the CPU at the time you show the window). Not good for seeing what happening in real time.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

In Software Manager, search for gnome-system-monitor. Install that. It will show CPU usage (in %) in real time.

Return to “Other topics”