Under-clocked cpu on linux mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Under-clocked cpu on linux mint

Post by JerryF »

Also can you post the result of the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Cx
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

cody,

Try this. Install from terminal: sudo apt-get install i7z

This is a basic, no-frills, real-time CPU monitoring program. Once installed, and still in terminal, run sudo i7z.

It will scroll past a bunch of info, and end up displaying CPU speed(s) in real-time.
Example:
i7z_screenshot.png
CPU_full_speed.png
Now, with that installed and running, re-size the terminal window smaller (yet see the CPU speed) and move it towards one side of your screen. Now try to run something that will bump up CPU usage for more than a few seconds. ** Try running from the "Menu" --> Preferences --> Display. For some reason, that Display program bumps my CPU speed up from 1~2% idle, to 13%. My CPU speeds reported in i7z will go from an average of 2990, to 4080.

I had fiddled around with this PC some time ago, to try and get my CPU speeds up--they were stuck at 800Mhz (a different issue than I believe you're seeing), and was eventually able to get it to hold at max speed all the time. Through updates and a kernel change, something reverted back to what I have at the moment, and there is no visible difference in performance of continuous wide-open throttle, or governing the CPU speed. (at least with the programs I run; didn't run enough repeat benchmarks to crunch exact numbers)

I ran a pretty intensive CPU test in Phoronix test suite (to me it works better from terminal CLI than the browser page), and monitored with i7z. All CPU's were at 100%, and temperatures were getting pretty warm (I don't have water cooling), and you could also see the thermal protection periodically pull back on the CPU's that were getting hot (would put the hot CPU in 5~6% Halt for a few seconds, CPU speed would slow down to about 3600, temp would drop right away.) I am presuming this was Intels thermal protection--each CPU would do it as it reach 85C. So the point of this rambling paragraph is, also watch your CPU temperatures--I personally use/prefer psensor for that. If you have a core getting hot when loaded (due to dirt, insufficient ventilation, etc), it is possible to have some thermal protection come in to play.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
cody213

Post by cody213 »

This is the picture under load,while playing lets say,a flash browser game...https://i.imgur.com/wXgVY3D.png

igor@igor-Inspiron-3521:~$ inxi -Cx
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron 1007U (-MCP-)
arch: Ivy Bridge rev.9 cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5987
clock speeds: max: 1500 MHz 1: 798 MHz 2: 798 MHz
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Your pic shows that it's revving up to its maximum, so that's ok. Do remember though, a 1.5 GHz CPU isn't a speed demon and you only have 2 cores.

I wouldn't try to make it stay at max unless you have extra cooling for the CPU. CPUs aren't made to run at maximum all the time.
cody213

Post by cody213 »

https://i.imgur.com/zSR0j0r.png This is the response with the i7z..Well I would like that it fluctuates like in windows from a range from 798mhz to 1.50ghz ..but I see that it isnt possible? Or am I mistaken?

Is linux made to be cpu under-clocked because apps dont use much cpu? I know it isnt a machine beast for gaming or something,but when i tampered with local file with governors for demand or performance i saw a little bit improvement in using when browing the internet thant when it was on powersave,its on power save on default,that is my logical conclusion..
Last edited by cody213 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Go into BIOS and enable speedstep and if there's an option for hyperthreading, enable that too.
cody213

Post by cody213 »

Found this...how can i set the last command in terminal
https://askubuntu.com/questions/410860/ ... e-governor

sudo update-rc.d ondemand disable it shows next in terminal : update-rc.d: error: cannot find a LSB script for ondemand ..how can I overwrite it so it cannot overwrite the performance governor on startup?

What i got with the governor set at performance is a little bit more of the cpu threading at the sam mhz with the load from 50% to 100% fluctuating..here is the picture https://i.imgur.com/vE87pQ3.png
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Cody,

You can try this: reboot your computer, and push escape or whatever key you need to get it to stop at the grub menu. Tab down to the one version you want to use, then push “e”. In the command line, where it may say nomodeset, splash, quiet, etc between quotations, add intel_pstate=disable and press enter to boot. Then try testing again while monitoring with i7z.

If this provides a satisfactory result, you can make it permanent by editing /etc/default/grub and adding the line to that file, and running sudo update-grub in terminal.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
cody213

Post by cody213 »

I have added the statement in the grub terminal,the intelpstate without qoutes and i have seen changes in the mhz ,when it hits above 796 it states inf instead of mhz and reverts back to the same mhz..And I have edited the grub file and saved it...Have I done it correctly?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Return to “Other topics”