root without space

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bedanto

root without space

Post by bedanto »

root (/dev/sda8) is without space (97% full)...how can i free this partition?? or can i add more space in this partition?? i have 110GB unallocated free space.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: root without space

Post by Schultz »

Delete the old, unused kernels. You should keep the last one before the current kernel as a backup.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I think I was be more concerned about the 5 bad sectors on that drive.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

In addition to the above comments, you can increase the / size by moving the rightmost partition some way into the free space to the right (say 5GB, or more if you want, up to a suggested max of 50GB total / partition size), move the next one up to it and then expand the / partition to the right, filling the available space.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hm. If I do not misunderstand the screenshot in the post above, then the 20 GB root partition is partition #8; and there are partitions #9 and #10 inbetween the partition #8 and the unallocated space.
So I am not sure how the root partition could be resized without moving partitions #9 and #10 first?
Apart from that there is the fact that the currently the available disk space is not part of the extended partition partition #3.
As far as I know, the very first step would have to be resizing the extended partition partition #3 by adding a part or all of the unallocated disk space to it.
But even then partitions #9 and #10 would still be located inbetween partition #8 and the unallocated disk space.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

karlchen wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 am Apart from that there is the fact that the currently the available disk space is not part of the extended partition partition #3.
As far as I know, the very first step would have to be resizing the extended partition partition #3 by adding a part or all of the unallocated disk space to it.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'd overlooked it having gotten accustomed to using GPT for all new installs, avoiding the need for extended patitions. :oops:

Indeed, the Extended Partition will first need to be expanded into the free (unallocated) space to the right, before moving partition 10 (/home I assume) to the right, followed with partition 9 (swap) and then expanding partition 8 (/) to fill the freed area.

The moving processes will likely take quite some time to complete! :!: Assuming this is a laptop, make sure it's plugged in.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Why is it that no one ever mentions the in-built cleaners - sudo apt autoremove, sudo apt autoclean, sudo apt clean?

Rhetorical question, I guess. But those are options, unless Mint doesn't play well with apt.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

jglen490 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 pm Why is it that no one ever mentions the in-built cleaners - sudo apt autoremove, sudo apt autoclean, sudo apt clean?
Good point. I've been manually removing out-of-date cruft from the apt archive on my Mint systems as have found it can get quite bloated over time. Unfortunately some (probably mainly ex-Windows users) turn to software wrecking-balls like "bleachbit" to  clean  destroy their systems.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

I just want to point out that this would be a lot easier to do with LVM, that is another topic though.

How about running Disk Usage Analyzer to see what is taking so much space? Maybe you can delete what you don't need in addition to removing old kernels like it's been suggested.

It would be helpful if you posted the results of this too.

Code: Select all

df -h --exclude-type=tmpfs --exclude-type=devtmpfs
Is there a reason you have a separate root partition? If there is no good reason I would just move root back under / in that partition and make the changes in your fstab file.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

HaveaMint wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:14 pm I think I was be more concerned about the 5 bad sectors on that drive.
And I agree with this, that should be the primary concern.

Return to “Other topics”