ACORN TV Recommendations

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

ACORN TV Recommendations

Post by majpooper »

Curious if there are any other Acorn TV fans other than Damien and myself and what shows they like and would recommend.

For folks who don't know; Acorn is UK/AUS/NF TV mostly older shows that have run their course but a few current ones as well.
What I like is that they don't "force it" like American TV - 24 episodes in 24 weeks per season. Rather they do a series - it could be just 4 episodes or 10 or more but they are all good. And some times they may not do a series in a given year while they are working on the show so when a series is done it's done with a high degree of quality. At first I had a little trouble with the accents and used CC but now I am an expert in understanding UK/AUS/NF accents . . . . usually. Plus I have picked up on the British subtleties - for example where Americans will ask visitors if they would like something to drink the British usually might ask if the would fancy some tea. Also my wife and I tease and call each other Wankers (I hope that is not an obscenity).

I know Damien likes Midsummer Murders

Here is my list:
Doc Martin
Happy Vally
Line of Duty
The Brokenwood Mysteries
Foyle’s War
Bang
A Place Called Home
Mystery Road
Five Days The Train
Single Handed
The Commander
George Gently
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: ACORN TV Reccommendations

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi majpooper...dont forget that NZ and Canada are in there too... Murdock Mysteries are great...first 2 episodes of season 12 just now out...Vera is also excellent...Agatha Christies, Miss Marple, and Poirot stuff is not bad at all...Republic of Doyle...Danger UXB...Rebus...A good BBC movie "An Inspector Calls"...DAMIEN

ps...a "wanker" is something that you never wanted your mother to catch you doing.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ACORN TV Reccommendations

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Another source of UK and European shows is Britbox which offers a broad range of mysteries, comedies,dramas etc
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
DAMIEN1307

Re: ACORN TV Recommendations

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i forgot to mention that "inspector lewis", a spinoff of "inspector morse" and "endeavour" a prequel of inspector morse depicting morse as a young inspector in 1960s england are both also well done series...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi majpooper...hope i was able to point you to some good programming available on Acorn TV...DAMIEN
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

THX Damien - good stuff - we have watched a few of the Agatha Christie episodes - I put your recommendations on my watch list
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I enjoyed Faulty Towers as a child, and so did my mother (who was a few years younger than I am now). I still smile when I think about the absolute non-PC aspects of it, and think about what would happen if someone tried to create such a show in the USA today.

BtW, is this Acorn TV free/ad-supported, or is it a pay service?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Acorn IS a paid for subscription...no commercials in any case...it is ad free...in my case i pay for it as an addendum to my Amazon Prime subscription, but you can do so as a stand alone install...yes you can...if you already have "Prime" or if you want "acorn tv" as a separate subscription, it is your choice...DAMIEN

PS...i have a special deal with Amazon Prime...i pay 5.99 per month for Amazon Prime and i spend 4.99 a month for the addition of Acorn...its all because of things that i do for them and the internet community at large that i get this rate...please dont ask what i do or have done to get this kind of rate...im not a liberty to tell.

Im just telling all of this to be truthful and thats all im legally able to say.

Return to “Other topics”