[SOLVED - kind of] Clock gets changed? (from persistent drive)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED - kind of] Clock gets changed? (from persistent drive)

Post by wallyUSA »

I have installed LM19.1 Cinnamon on a USB (thumb, stick, flash) drive. This gives me a portable & persistent Mint.

I used this on my wife’s W10 machine and it worked great! The problem is afterwards when she boots her machine back to W10, the time in her system clock has changed (probably GMT).

Any way to avoid this inconvenience? I think I saw a post about this last year (2018) but I can not find it.
TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Clock gets changed? (from persistent drive)

Post by JeremyB »

Code: Select all

timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

JeremyB wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:21 pm

@JeremyB: Thanks so much, I'll give it a go! I assume I apply this to my persistent USB?

Searching on your timedatectl, I think I found the post I was looking for. I ref to it here in case someone else can use it.

Title is “keeping firmware time after linux mint, going back to windows”

and link is

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=280732&p=1550723&h ... l#p1550723

Thanks again for the quick reply!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@JeremyB:

On the persistent drive, I applied your

Re-boot persistent drive. Time good.

Boot w10 with persistent drive. Time good.

Re-boot w10 machine with w10 OS. Time is wrong. Went online with browser. Waited 10 minutes. Time is still bad.

What am I missing?

JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See if Windows changed your time zone
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I had this in my saved linux tips, I don't know if it is still valid or not.

Make Ubuntu use local (non-UTC) time

Submitted by drink on Thu, 2011-03-24 02:55

Ubuntu has set the system clock to UTC since the Intrepid Ibex (8.10.) I didn't notice because I had upgraded through several other versions. Using UTC for the system clock is cool if you don't dual-boot, but I do. The functionality exists in at least Vista and later to use UTC for the system clock, but I'm using XP and don't trust it to work even if it appears to.

The fix is to edit the /etc/default/rcS file and change UTC=yes to UTC=no and reboot. From then on, Linux will store the current system time in the real time clock. Make sure that all operating systems are fully updated so that their time zone calibration matches; if you have an outdated Windows XP system it will disagree with Linux about when daylight savings time occurs.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, HaveAMint.

The saved advice is valid up to Mint 17.x (Ubuntu 14.04). Starting with Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04) the parameter UTC=yes|no is no longer present in the file /etc/default/rcS.
In his post above, JeremyB had given the commandline, which will switch Linux Mint 18 and above from interpreting the hardware clock as UTC to interpreting it as local time and setting the hardware clock correspondingly.

Regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the user name to read "Haveamint", dropping the "tea". Sorry.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Here is a file that will fix the registry on Windows to use UTC like it should have in the first place. Was unable to upload a .reg file, so added .txt to it before uploading. Remove the .txt before using. Just download to Windows and double click it.
WindowsTimeFixUTC.reg.txt
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Even after running that command and changing time zone in Windows, another reboot had the wrong time. I changed it this time in BIOS so I hope that fight is over. Even if I don't plan on using Win 10 on it very much
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

karlchen wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:06 pm Hi, HaveAMintTea.

The saved advice is valid up to Mint 17.x (Ubuntu 14.04). Starting with Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04) the parameter UTC=yes|no is no longer present in the file /etc/default/rcS.
In his post above, JeremyB had given the commandline, which will switch Linux Mint 18 and above from interpreting the hardware clock as UTC to interpreting it as local time and setting the hardware clock correspondingly.

Regards,
Karl
Well that will save a small amount of wasted space since I can go ahead and delete that tip. Thanks
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@jimallyn
“Here is a file that will fix the registry on Windows …”
Can not use this as I do not (and probably can not) modify the registry of others. :(

@JeremyB
“… I changed it this time in BIOS so I hope that fight is over…”
Can not use this as I do not (and probably can not) modify the BIOS of others. :(

So looks like I can not use the persistent & portable USB on someone else’s M/$ system.
But thanks for your assistance :wink:

Return to “Other topics”