SSD drive (Solved)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

SSD drive (Solved)

Post by larrypoynor »

I have a fairly new computer with 16 GB of memory and a 2 TB hard drive....I'm thinking about buying an ssd drive to install my LM19.1....I'm using a 60 GB usb drive now.....what will be required to hook up an ssd? I'm assuming I'll need a cable and a sata III slot on my motherboard. I've never installed an ssd and I don't won't to waste money if it's not feasible. I have built a couple of computers but that was years ago and I've only got half a brain these days so any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srq2625

Re: SSD drive

Post by srq2625 »

If you are talking about a SATA SSD, in terms of hardware connections it's just like any other drive; you'll need a SATA connector and a power connector.

Most (maybe all?) SATA SSDs look just like an SATA HDD to Linux - so there's no worries there either.

If you are talking about something other than an SATA SSD .... well, I've no experience with those but I know others here do and one or more of them will respond.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

larrypoynor wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 am I have a fairly new computer with 16 GB of memory and a 2 TB hard drive....I'm thinking about buying an ssd drive to install my LM19.1....I'm using a 60 GB usb drive now.....what will be required to hook up an ssd? I'm assuming I'll need a cable and a sata III slot on my motherboard. I've never installed an ssd and I don't won't to waste money if it's not feasible. I have built a couple of computers but that was years ago and I've only got half a brain these days so any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry :D
Here is a link that may help you out.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/store-ss ... ll-desktop
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larrypoynor »

Thanks guys......I'm thinking now about getting a big thumb drive...it's easier just to plug it in....It's just for Linux Mint . I've got a 60GB usb now so I'm gonna get one that's 256GB so I can have plenty of room to practice programming.....Once again Thanks.
Larry

Return to “Other topics”