BIMP installation (Batch GIMP plugin)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
htdavidht

BIMP installation (Batch GIMP plugin)

Post by htdavidht »

Hi,

I am loving Mint so far.

I am having some problem installing BIMP... I have use this tool on Windows and it really helps me, because I can resize and rename folders of images at ones... so I can upload them to a website. It is not practical for me to do this image by image.

This is the link for the tool:

https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

I downloaded the "sources" one, but get a lot of warnings and errors when I run the "make && make install" command.

So I figure maybe the problem is that I don't have gimptool installed, so I try to go for it, and I honestly have not idea what to do here:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bio ... 2.0.1.html

All I want is to make the pictures smaller, as they come out of the camera in very large size... I would like to make them all width 1200px keep the height proportional to it, and rename the new files with a pattern... they already come with numbers out of the camera so I wnat to write the same word for al lof them and then the original file name that is the numbers...

Can someone help me with this, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BIMP installation (Batch GIMP plugin)

Post by jimallyn »

gimptool is a part of the libgimp2.0-dev package, which you can install from the Software Manager or Synaptic, or from the command line if that's what you prefer. Then try compiling BIMP. Rather than using make install, I often use checkinstall, which will turn your compiled program into a .deb file you can just double click on to install. Using a .deb file has the advantage that it is MUCH easier to uninstall should you ever want to. I don't think checkinstall is installed by default, so you will have to install that, too. And build-essential is required for compiling anything.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
htdavidht

Re: BIMP installation (Batch GIMP plugin)

Post by htdavidht »

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I am brand new to this OS and there is many things I don't' know..

For example I don't know how to install checkinstall...

Sadly I ended up taking the pictures into a flash drive and working them on a windows computer, I have a deadline to update this images.

But I will need to do it again for next month. I wish I have figure it out how to accomplish this task using Linux instead.

Maybe I should follow some tutorial or something, so I am not this much hopeless.... any god recommendation?

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate.

Return to “Other topics”