forums.linuxmint.com misconfigured - ? [SOLVED]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

forums.linuxmint.com misconfigured - ? [SOLVED]

Post by Flemur »

Edit: JeremyB correctly honed in on the time issue: time.
I had had problems with ubuntu apparently changing the BIOS clock, and then the time was messed up in Manjaro. And one OS used my correct time-zone and one didn't...my displayed time was correct when the forum didn't like it, but the time displayed in firefox was wrong. Sigh.

Solution: set the BIOS clock to UTC, namely set it to THE WRONG TIME, then use the correct timezone file in /etc/localtime*. Then the linuxes are happy and firefox thinks the time is the same as the local time. The BIOS clock should display the correct time, but who ever looks at it...?

+++

An hour or so ago, it was OK, now I get the below (added an exception to make this post) from firefox; link I use is
search.php?search_id=active_topics&sid= ... fe644b7f19
Your connection is not secure

The owner of forums.linuxmint.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

forums.linuxmint.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate will not be valid until January 6, 2019, 7:20:38 AM GMT-7. The current time is January 6, 2019, 12:57 AM.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_NOT_YET_VALID_CERTIFICATE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: forums.linuxmint.com misconfigured - ?

Post by JeremyB »

Some of the security certs expired and were renewed, you may have visited just before the start time on the cert
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 am Some of the security certs expired and were renewed, you may have visited just before the start time on the cert
I'm still getting it. Running Manjaro, FWIW.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Is your time correct? I only saw an error on community.linuxmint.com earlier about the cert being expired, but that doesn't happen now
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm Is your time correct? I only saw an error on community.linuxmint.com earlier about the cert being expired, but that doesn't happen now
You're close. My time is correct, but linux's handling of that time is not correct. I have to delete "(/usr/share/zoneinfo*") or else my time is off by 7 hours. (Edit: something to do with dual-boot lubunu and manjaro; lubuntu would set the BIOS clock incorrectly, then I fixed that to "don't change it!" and Manjaro would display the incorrect time until I deleted the thousands of time-zone files, which I hate the fact they exist in the first place)

Now the msg says:
forums.linuxmint.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate will not be valid until January 6, 2019, 2:20:38 PM GMT. The current time is January 6, 2019, 3:46 AM. Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_NOT_YET_VALID_CERTIFICATE
The current time was 10:46AM, not 3:46AM

Code: Select all

$ date
Sun Jan  6 10:50:02 UTC 2019
Edit: I still get the error - and the incorrect time in the error message - with Manjaro, even though the date and time are correct. In lubuntu the time is incorrect, and when I set it with "date MMDDhhmm" as root it writes out that time and date in response, and then seems to ignore it since it returns an incorrect time on subsequent "date" commands.

Sometimes I really hate linux, this kind of stuff is just a load of unicorns, it should be as easy as setting the hands on a clock.

Return to “Other topics”