unable to login

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dblake

unable to login

Post by dblake »

I am running Linux Mint Xfce 18.3. Sometime in the past I did something to prevent a user from logging in at the login screen. I cannot remember what I did, but I should like to reenable him. Here are some clues as to what I did *not* do. I should like to know what I *did* do. Thanks.
  • His password is still valid. An ordinary user can "su <username>" and provide his password to access his account.
  • At the login screen, an incorrect password is immediately flagged as incorrect.
  • At the login screen, the correct password is accepted, the screen clears and looks like the desktop is about to start, but then it returns to the login screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: unable to login

Post by trytip »

you can start with deleting .ICEauthority and .Xauthority from your home directory (use ctrl+H to show hidden files) then logoff and try again
Last edited by trytip on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dblake

Post by dblake »

1. You say to delete some files from my home directory. Did you mean to say *my* home directory or the home directory of the user I am trying to restore?
  2. To my original question, do you have a suggestion as to what I may have done to cause the symptoms I described?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

delete these files from the user that doesn't log in. you have done nothing to cause this. this is quite routine. now if there's an issue with passwords being wrong i can't say. but you won'r break anything by deleting these. i do quite often just because i can :D sometimes it prevents the very issue you are dealing with.
dblake

Post by dblake »

Actually, I did do something. I purposely did something to prevent this user from logging in. I cannot remember what I did. I was hoping someone could tell from the symptoms in the OP what it was I did.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you can open users and groups from the cinnamon settings and try to figure out what you did

Return to “Other topics”