[SOLVED] Theme Change While VPN Connected?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redlined

Re: Theme Change While VPN Connected?

Post by redlined »

ok, more info- leading to what I believe is the cause of the applet and indicator not working well, a DNS issue.

based on this from your config: "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dns"
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... n24ManPage
--redirect-gateway flags...
Automatically execute routing commands to cause all outgoing IP traffic to be redirected over the VPN. This is a client-side option.
</>
def1 -- Use this flag to override the default gateway by using 0.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.0/1 rather than 0.0.0.0/0. This has the benefit of overriding but not wiping out the original default gateway.
</>
bypass-dns -- Add a direct route to the DNS server(s) (if they are non-local) which bypasses the tunnel (Available on Windows clients, may not be available on non-Windows clients).
ignoring the part saying whether or not bypass-dns command is available for nonWindows users, I can see it may cause issue if trying to resolve a remote domain name (the check site) in order to report your public IP back to you. in terminal running this command: ip route show may explain what the routing looks like (or make it more confusing :lol: and there are ways to modify routes, but for this intents and purposes I do not believe it will be effective or useful in resolving the issue, easily anyways...

I would try: delete bypass-dns from your config and test, if not work then try delete the entire line redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dns as the issue may also be the def1 flag confusing things for applet/indicator.

Otherwise use NM to set DNS to public/open DNS servers in both your VPN (TUN adapter) and internet adapter (wired and/or wireless) may help.
(popular public DNS are cloudflare-1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1, google- 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, Quad9- 9.9.9.9, etc), even better would be (imho) to use dnscrypt-proxy which is a local resolver and cache and can be setup fairly easily to use DNS over HTTPS (DoH, hard to find support- but cloudflare and google DNS do support it, I prefer cloudflare due to mistrust in google practices and policies) which is really the only way to encrypt DNS queries and keep the "everwatchfuleyes" from ever learning what sites you go to...until you get there :roll: , but thru VPN and only VPN provider would know, if they cared)

If this doesn't change applet and indicator behavior then i'm :cry: but still on task thinking of what else we could do to sort this seemingly simple task of notifying you when VPN up/down

edit to add another option in delete from ovpn config the entire redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dns line as redirect gateway is useless without the flags def1 and bypass-dns, in this case.
DVScuba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DVScuba »

I would try: delete bypass-dns from your config and test,
redlined!!! This did it! VPN Look-Out is working perfectly now!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I'll go mark this as solved again. Thank you so much for sticking with me on this. Loving these forums.

Thanks again,

DV
redlined

Post by redlined »

DVScuba wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am
I would try: delete bypass-dns from your config and test,
redlined!!! This did it! VPN Look-Out is working perfectly now!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I'll go mark this as solved again. Thank you so much for sticking with me on this. Loving these forums.

Thanks again,

DV
I love it when a plan comes together :lol:
and you are very welcome DV, these forums are a great place to get it done (every once in a while I get lucky hacking things up to get some fix sorted, eventually :mrgreen:
zpangwin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Theme Change While VPN Connected?

Post by zpangwin »

i know this thread is a bit old but for other stubborn people who didn't want to add another applet to get this functionality out of the network-manager applet, this should at least be relevant.

I finally had some limited success with at least being able to change some of my network-manager systray icons. is a bit involved, so going to link to my post on unix.stackexchange ... if there is interest, anyone interested is welcome to fill in the remaining gaps / clean it up a bit and post a better guide here on LM forums. If there is anything already existing covering this, then it must be using slightly different terminology / I missed it despite much time searching :D

Return to “Other topics”