Who did come up with this anti-human anti-linux "security measure" for password requirement in this board?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Who did come up with this anti-human anti-linux "security measure" for password requirement in this board?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Waffa wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 am ... I am so pissed off for these kind of exclusionary retarded security features ...
Well I don't think that saying a high level of security for logins is 'anti-Linux' sounds too bright either.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Who did come up with this anti-human anti-linux "security measure" for password requirement in this board?

Post by majpooper »

Personally I thought the "anti-linux" was a clever touch <sarc.>. Gee who would have thunk the Linux Mint Forum was anti-linux? I also like the "anti-human" aspect as well. I really think the only decent thing to do is for the person who came up with this anti-human, anti-linux password policy should reveal themselves, apologize to the OP and change the password policy to something like any 4 to 8 characters or you can just use the default password of "password" with no need to create a password at all.

Sorry for the sarcasm - but just could not take this OP's post seriously.
Poohstyx

Post by Poohstyx »

The car example show pretty well the issues caused security systems that have not been thought out.

The most popular method of cracking a password is still 'brute force'.
Any password requirements that are known serve to reduce the possibilities and therefore make brute force attempts more likely.

The rules I use:
Don't use common dictionary words.
Don't use words that relate to myself or my immediate family.
Do use multiple words.
Do use numbers.
Don't use control codes.
Do use special characters if required (printable non alpha-numerics).
Do keep a hint sheet.
Don't memorise passwords.

If a password requirement is too draconian - move on, I'll find a way that doesn't use that site.

My current hint sheet consists of 3 'documents':
A text file on the current machine.
A graphic image on the spare laptop.
A photographic negative in a hidden location.

All 3 documents are required to decode a password.

Any, yes. I am anal about security :)
Vrai

Post by Vrai »

Waffa wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 am Can there be more frustrating thing then told over and over again, that Your password is not sufficient (even if that is like 9'some characters in combination of small and big letters and numbers, and then top of all, after you make up some 17 character password, to just use once, as who would remember it second time, it tells, is still not sufficient as it needs special characters. )

To add to a insult, it will NOT say what requirements are but lets you get face f ked by every new try.

I am so pissed off for these kind of exclusionary retarded security features that totally forgot now for what i even come here. And as my browser has error to not save cookies will not be even able to access here with out password reset second time.
Musta got it figured out!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

This is just like that other recent ranting post about the forum password requirements . . . the initial rant post, and then never came back once.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Schultz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 pm This is just like that other recent ranting post about the forum password requirements . . . the initial rant post, and then never came back once.
My way of dealing with ranters is to ignore them. Once the frustration of trying to overcome a difficult problem reaches the point that it boils over into a rant, then unfortunately nothing we say will change his mind, so I won't waste my time trying. This isn't unique to Linux Mint, it applies in all walks of life.
Cliff Coggin
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

One suggestion of generating a password is to type it into a text file, taking into account the rules. Save it ! Then do the preliminary info fill in, Then copy and paste the password into the password and confirmation boxes. They should match. :D
An alternative would be to leave the entries visible until the application was made. That would not be as secure though.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

I'm very bad at coming up with a new password, and much worse at remembering, but this doesn't bother me, as a computer can do the job for me. The are password managers for remembering them and apg for generating them. Last time I checked, all my browsers can remember logins and passwords, too. I have maybe 200 passwords related to my online activity, all long, all different, and it doesn't feel like a hassle to me.

Return to “Other topics”