Workflow for Ripping DVD and BRs

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scottyo

Workflow for Ripping DVD and BRs

Post by scottyo »

All

Looking for a workflow on ripping DVDs and BRs

I am doing MakeMKV for the BluRays then using Handbrake to compress

For DVDs I go straight to Handbrake.

I do one disc at a time.

I was thinking on running MakeMKV one disc at a time then doing large and long Handbrake Que to run overnight.

Thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Workflow for Ripping DVD and BRs

Post by AndyMH »

You're doing what I did, DVDs one at a time. I had to use MakeMKV on some DVDs due to copy protection.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
scottyo

Post by scottyo »

Thanks for the confirmation. I have bunch of Disney classic cartoons. that handbrake cannot handle. I will be tryiing that when I am done with the Band of Brothers BRay discs.

Scottyo
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Didn't find any that MakeMKV couldn't handle. Don't think you could automate the process as you have to look at the DVD that MakeMKV finds and then select the file to rip and rename it to something sensible (normally the biggest is the movie). I did it with my T430 with an i7 inside. It was slow, typically around 45mins per movie. Both handbrake and MakeMKV run the CPU hot - for me around 85C. Hotter than anything else I've run. Typically the CPU is sat around 45-50C.

Note - don't have bluray, I imagine these will take even longer.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
scottyo

Post by scottyo »

Just using MakeMKV does not run the CPU hot for DVDs. What I have found with one of the BRs I had to use MakeMKV first then compress it down with Handbrake.

I just started using MakeMKV with a set DVDs (Deadliest Catch) it will copy it quickly (about 15 min for 2x43min shows) at a full size (~1.6gb). I am using my custom built i7-8700 desktop.

When I do run Handbrake my CPU was running at 85C with a stock cooler. Purchased a Noctua Air cooler and dropped the temp down to about 72C.

And yes, I cannot automate the process when a disc is inserted. However, Handbrake add to que works great. Can put in as many I have on my Hard Drive to compress. So far Blurays after the MakeMKV (takes about 45 min to copy to HD) will take another 45 min to compress a 60min show at 1080p30fps

Hope you can follow and hope this is helpful to some of the community.

scottyo
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only problem with doing batch conversions is that different videos need different settings for best video quality, though if you want to reencode a bunch of cartoons they should have similar best settings. Unfortunately there's no one universal best encoder settings for any video.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

I still use Command mplayer to rip titles one-at-a-time. Then the Command ffmpeg to make a transcode in the old VCD format. Designed to play a video from CD hardware...
o You get good quality (patent free) MP2 sound.
o You get enough (patent free) video to remind you what the original looked like.
o Your CPU usually has firmware and registers to speed up conversion to an MPEG format and assist with hardware decoding during playback.
o The libraries have decades of development, they work. Not the smallest video in the world, but one your machine will like playing.

mplayer dvd://1//dev/sr0 -dumpstream ### Rip Title 1 from the DVD drive as a decoded 'VOB'.

ffmpeg -i stream.dump -target film-vcd spongebob.mpg ### Transcode to a VCD file.

Handbrake, VLC and SMplayer are all doing much the same work behind the scenes because the backend libraries are the same. The GUI makes it easier to specify weirdo options --sigh-- but dvd and vcd don't have options. I like them.

Return to “Other topics”