Not support: outdated tutorial

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

Not support: outdated tutorial

Post by LivingPharaoh »

Hey,
Excuse me. Didn't know where else to put this. But I believe this tutorial is out of date for Cinnamon
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1558

I'd suggest an amendment, but I didn't get as far as getting a shortcut key to switch keyboards working, so I just added Irish and removed English so it's the only layout available. I won't need it the English keyboard ever.

In my version of Cinnamon there is no Preferences. It's System Settings > Hardware (category) > Keyboard > Layouts (tab). Then "Switching to another keyboard" in the Options window to (allegedly) set a shortcut/hotkey. There's also "Input Method" under the Preferences category in Hardware which deals with Asian and other non-Latin characters. That could be mentioned in the above tutorial, too.

Much love to the community. Thank you so much for this awesome OS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redlined

Re: Not support: outdated tutorial

Post by redlined »

hi LivingPharaoh!

The LM community article you linked to is folks like you and me typing up help tutorials (and it is a awesome space to find helpful stuff, like the tutorials subforum in this LM forum).

If you want to see changes/fixes made to a tutorial posted there at LMcommunity then it would be best to comment on the article itself or see if you can find a way to email the author.

Otherwise, if you feel you have found a bug then posting about it in these forums is useful, only thing perhaps better would be to do bug report once you've determined the source/package responsible.

btw, good sleuthing to get it sorted for you local. I'll add- with a "you can mess up your system if careless" disclaimer, that dconf-editor (found in LM repos) might help you drill down to a finer grain control of settings and help resolve the issue better/best. If uncertain about anything just shout out here in the forums and very likely someone will help sort it all. Hope this helps!

edit to add: ps.
Much love to the community. Thank you so much for this awesome OS
I agree!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Not support: outdated tutorial

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yes, they're often outdated, but that's not surprising. The thing you really should know is that they're often written by people who don't know what they're doing. NEVER use one without reading the comments first.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Other topics”