Folders on SMB share randomly renaming

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
electric-wildflower
Level 1
Level 1

Folders on SMB share randomly renaming

Post by electric-wildflower »

I have a rather odd problem i need some support and wasn't sure what part of the Forums i should post in but thought i will ask

I have a setup which includes a Freenas server which is where i store a ton of media IE audio, video etc for streaming and a Raspberry Pi with Kodi installed for streaming said media, this all works well and fine BUT every time i connect to my server via network using SMB shares i keep finding artists albums renamed.

I have a dataset called "Audio" on my Freenas i access via the Linux network and in this i have a bunch of folders like this.

Artists
Compilations
Soundtracks
Other

and in the Artists folder we have a folder for each artist sorted by A to Z and in each artists folder we have the following folders

Bootleg
Compilations
Live
Studio
Single, EP
Other

As an example Audio/Artists/Adam & The Ants/Studio/Kings of the wild Frontier/Ant Music.ogg

Now the problem is folders keep randomly renaming there self to something such as today i went to copy a CD rip to Dr Feelgood/Studio/ and found one of the album folders renamed itself to ST1RFJ-H. This only happens to folders that sit under

Bootleg
Compilations
Live
Studio
Single, EP
Other

No other folders do it, when ever i go to copy any CD rips to their desired designation i will randomly come across an album has randomly renamed it's self to something like the example above. I'm not sure what is causing it to randomly select an album folder and rename but it's frustrating and i dread to navigate to my server because i might find a lot more has renamed it'self.

I popped onto the Freenas Forums to be told it's not Freenas but it's an external program or something that sees the media that's doing it, i asked in the Kodi forums and again it's not Kodi doing it so the only thing left is Either Mint doing it or one of the programs i use to rip and covert is doing it. The programs i use are.

Musicbrainz Picard
Asunder
Banshee
Rhythmbox
Sound Converter
Easytag

And each one rips, renames and keeps all the file structures and names fine. When it gets renamed i have no idea i just happen to come across them when i transfer CD rips.

Info if you need it

Linux Mint - 19.1 Cinnamon
Linux Kernal - 4.15.0-20-generic
Processor - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor × 4
Ram - 16GB

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Folders on SMB share randomly renaming

Post by altair4 »

I do not have an answer but you noted this:
Now the problem is folders keep randomly renaming there self to something such as today i went to copy a CD rip to Dr Feelgood/Studio/ and found one of the album folders renamed itself to ST1RFJ-H
Is it:
ST1RFJ-H
Or is it:
ST1RFJ~H
If it's the second one it looks a lot like name mangling. That happens when the certain characters are used in certain places like colons : , ending the name in a period . , and who knows what else.

On a samba server you can turn that off by adding a line to the [global] section of smb.conf:

Code: Select all

mangled names = no
Don't think you can do anything on the client ( Mint ) about this.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
electric-wildflower
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Folders on SMB share randomly renaming

Post by electric-wildflower »

All of the file names i am using are just standard A to z characters when it comes to the folders, anything such as :?,!"$ etc fail when i try to copy to the server via smb such as if i have a song called who are you? it will fail to copy unless i remove ?

An hour back i added the code to auxiliary parameters on my Freenas saved then navigated to the Freenas server via networking in Linux Mint and entered my SMB Audio share, i created a folder called Kodi which is where i am going to share playlists with different devices. Anyway about 20 seconds after i had created the folder it renamed it's self to AJEUIO~H. It just switched names in front of me.

I have taken the code out of auxiliary parameters because that hasn't done anything, i'm just really confused and can't for life of me work out why it does it. It's certainly not Kodi or any of my ripping programs because of the Kodi folder just auto renaming it's self in front of me which clearly shows it's another fault.

Is this a Mint fault or something between Mint & Freenas??

Return to “Other topics”