Setting up for a Novice

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Setting up for a Novice

Post by lsemmens »

I've been asked to set up a computer for a friend's father. I'm told he only surf's the net and not much else. Perfect job for Mint! I wish to set him up as a User and his daughter as Admin. So far, so good.

I now have 2 accounts : (names and passwords have been changed to protect the guilty)

Daughter : Name: Mary Password: BluddyGreatLongOne Account: Administrator
User: Name: Fred Password: LotShorterAndEasyToRemember Account: User

To make it easy for him, I want his account to automatically Log in and, hopefully he'll never see a password prompt.

I set him up with a simple password but, despite setting him as Automatically Login in the Login Window. The system stops and prompts for a username/Password at log in, presumably because I also set up an Administrator account, too. What else need I do?

Code: Select all

Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64  bits: 64
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9  Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Hardware is irrelevant at this time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Setting up for a Novice

Post by rene »

You supposedly configured home directory encryption? Automatic login doesn't work in that case...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Supposedly, but, no, I did not, but, thanks for the try.
Fully mint Household
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

That'll, supposedly again, immediately make this hard to answer because certainly it's not the case that autologin of a "User" user doesn't generally work with both it and an Administrator account configured.

I do notice that you are calling it an Administrator respectively User account, whereas the Cinnamon terminology is Administrator versus Standard. IIRC "User" is terminology from the MATE and Xfce user management tool -- so did you create the user in an odd way? Also, to be explicit, if Fred's UNIX username is "fred", have you typed the four letters "fred" into Administration -> Login window -> Users -> Automatic login / Username? I.e., not "Fred"?

If no resp. yes I give up already...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Sorry, you are correct, "User" was a misnomer, He was set up as a Standard, account. Good point about case sensitivity, Off to check that now.
Fully mint Household
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Bugga! All is as installed. The Username is correct case. It's still asking me for a username at login.
Fully mint Household
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well, if the user's home directory were inaccessible that would do it. Does ls -ld /home show Fred's home directory to have correct permissions, the same ones as Mary's? And you were still somewhat implicit about case: note that UNIX usernames are lowercase. If you somehow managed to have Fred's UNIX user name be not all lowercase, that may be it.

[EDIT] brainfart; meant simply ls -l /home
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks rene, that might be it. the all lowercase bit, that is. Too late I re-installed Linux on that system and set it as part of the install to always log on. It was no biggie and I have plenty of other things to take up my time than figuring out how when I can get this box out the door!

Thanks for your thoughts and I will play with that when I have some more time.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Other topics”