[Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by reptilezone2002 »

hi
i have redirector.gvt1.com virus. fortunately my pi-hole is blocking it. im using vivaldi browser with only popup blocker for chrome, ublock origin for addones.. how can i remove this virus. clamav tells me that my system is clean. but still im geting this blocked on my pi-hole every time i open my browser

so how can i clean it or remove it?

linuxmint 19.1 64bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by trytip »

um, delete your history and change your homepage
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

According to this site you should be able to open Add-ons and remove it.
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

did everything purged & deleted every vivaldi & firefox file i can find ..

now firefox is clear & i reinstall vivaldi.. now i found when ever i searched redirector.gvt1.com appears on the pihole blocked list..
have done a full scan with sophos found no viruses

do i have to format & reinstall mint i have a separate /home partition do i have to format that too
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

trytip wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm um, delete your history and change your homepage

now firefox is clear & i reinstall vivaldi.. now i found when ever i searched redirector.gvt1.com appears on the pihole blocked list..

do i have to format & reinstall mint i have a separate /home partition do i have to format that too
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

WharfRat wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm According to this site you should be able to open Add-ons and remove it.

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Did you also delete the user profiles of Firefox and Vivaldi, in your personal folder? Because apt doesn't do that for you.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

According to the link I gave you it says
The most likely way that Redirector GVT1.Com Virus ended up in your PC is through some sort of infected executable file you started yourself without realizing what was hiding inside. Please be careful when installing .exe files – if they are obtained from unsafe sources like random mirrors, advertisements, torrents or storage sites these .exe files may be modified to include additional programs inside of them
So I don't understand how it infected a Linux system unless there's a yet unreported Linux variant lurking out there.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing :?:
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

WharfRat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 am According to the link I gave you it says
The most likely way that Redirector GVT1.Com Virus ended up in your PC is through some sort of infected executable file you started yourself without realizing what was hiding inside. Please be careful when installing .exe files – if they are obtained from unsafe sources like random mirrors, advertisements, torrents or storage sites these .exe files may be modified to include additional programs inside of them
So I don't understand how it infected a Linux system unless there's a yet unreported Linux variant lurking out there.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing :?:
those are the pihole screenshots. thers no indication of a virus on the browser is behaves normally ah i noticed some thing 192.168.151.1 is my pfsense. it has squidclam installed how can it query for redirector.gvt1.com?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I don't use those applications and I see that pi-hole will take some time to install and setup.

The only thing I can say here is if you removed the .mozilla/ folder that should have cleared all FF local storage.

I'll try looking into pi-hole over the next few days and see what kind of results I get.
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

WharfRat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 am I don't use those applications and I see that pi-hole will take some time to install and setup.

The only thing I can say here is if you removed the .mozilla/ folder that should have cleared all FF local storage.

I'll try looking into pi-hole over the next few days and see what kind of results I get.
tx i removed my squid cache & rebuild it its still there when i open vivaldi.. but nothing when open firefox may b ill do a clean install mint tonight without formatting my /home partition but deleting everything exept for default folders in /home partition
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OP said,
how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus
who said it is a virus?...DAMIEN

https://www.systemtek.co.uk/2017/08/what-is-gvt1-com/

https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... a-file-how
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

to be in the clear i would delete all the browser user folders, if you use pihole i'm sure you know how to find them and also delete everything in the .cache folder. i regularly make a habit of deleting everything in cache anyway it's a good practice
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

reptilezone2002 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am tx i removed my squid cache & rebuild it its still there when i open vivaldi.. but nothing when open firefox may b ill do a clean install mint tonight without formatting my /home partition but deleting everything exept for default folders in /home partition
I can't phantom this thing penetrating any system files :?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

also to be clear...those 2 links i provided in previous post point to gvt1 as belonging to google video...vivaldi is chromium based, hence a google chrome/chromium influence...you report it to not be, or no longer be in firefox which is mozilla based...read the links... as i again say, "who says this is a virus"?...DAMIEN
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:06 pm also to be clear...those 2 links i provided in previous post point to gvt1 as belonging to google video...vivaldi is chromium based, hence a google chrome/chromium influence...you report it to not be, or no longer be in firefox which is mozilla based...read the links... as i again say, "who says this is a virus"?...DAMIEN
that explains everything coz i just clean installed mint with full format. the minute i open vivaldi the redirector site gets blocked.. so its a legit site..

tx for all for clearing this .. ill mark this as SOLVED
DAMIEN1307

Re: [Solved] how to clean redirector.gvt1.com virus

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi reptilezone2002...just as a side note here...i really need to tell you to not rely on Windows crutches known as anti-virus scanners...yes, they are needed in Windows and Mac systems because of their structure, but are not needed in Linux home user systems...they decrease your system security.
Linux is built in such a way as they are NOT necessary, recommended, or required unless your system is being used as a mail server to Windows or Mac OSs etc....i am providing 2 links below for you to read and discover for yourself from one of our members here at Linux Mint Forum by name of pjotr, a very knowledgeable contributor here in the forums...the first is his main opening page, the second is specifically about security and virus scanners...i would bookmark in your browser, the first one for future reference, as it has the table of contents for almost anything you could ask for with linux operating systems...i see you are not a newcomer in the forums as your date of joining shows but i, myself, still find it useful from time to time...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm hi reptilezone2002...just as a side note here...i really need to tell you to not rely on Windows crutches known as anti-virus scanners...yes, they are needed in Windows and Mac systems because of their structure, but are not needed in Linux home user systems...they decrease your system security.
Linux is built in such a way as they are NOT necessary, recommended, or required unless your system is being used as a mail server to Windows or Mac OSs etc....i am providing 2 links below for you to read and discover for yourself from one of our members here at Linux Mint Forum by name of pjotr, a very knowledgeable contributor here in the forums...the first is his main opening page, the second is specifically about security and virus scanners...i would bookmark in your browser, the first one for future reference, as it has the table of contents for almost anything you could ask for with linux operating systems...i see you are not a newcomer in the forums as your date of joining shows but i, myself, still find it useful from time to time...DAMIEN

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
ah i know this page i used to do tweeks from this page for my SSD
Tx DAMIEN
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

So to confirm what redirector.gvt1.com thing is its not a virus. I asked from the vivaldi team what this is. They told me its better to file a bug report with chromium. A search on the cromium bug report site i found this https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... 20Modified

& A post there said

redirector.gvt1.com is a redirection service used by Google for a variety of purposes, including download of updates, etc.

Return to “Other topics”