Mint and Parted Magic

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintimperials
Level 1
Level 1

Mint and Parted Magic

Post by mintimperials » Tue May 07, 2019 9:34 pm

I'm just about to install\run Parted Magic 2019-03.17.
It seems that I could do this three ways.
1) Live CD, with no OS dependency.
2) Install Mint, and then run Parted Magic from there.
3) Install Parted Magic as its own system, via AIO Boot or some other method.

The host computer is a Pentium 4, 64bit, 4GB machine. The aim is to run DDRescue in a 'persistent' way, ie, so that its log file can be stored for resuming operations in case of breaks or glitches. I'm not sure this can be done in the 'Live' method.

After typing this, I guess it's also possible to run DDRescue (with gui, if possible) from Mint, without Parted Magic? Maybe Mint with xfce, to reduce ram use?

Comments, please. BTW, sorry if my query sounds like my other newbie posts, but it's taken me a couple weeks to finally identify my task priorities :oops:

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint and Parted Magic

Post by oldgranola » Wed May 08, 2019 3:31 am

Being that it is a commercial linux distro with its own forums etc. and since this is a linux mint forum, might not be the best place to get help on that. I did have to look tho and they claim it can be installed by all the above. Missing though was that it would work on an old P4. What is your interest in it if you don't mind?
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Wed May 08, 2019 4:22 am

1) Live CD, with no OS dependency.

that would be the suggested way, that you approach this scenario.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

mintimperials
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintimperials » Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 am

oldgranola: I want to use DDRescue to copy files from a failing hard drive. However, it's probably overkill to install Linux Mint and then install Parted Magic to run DDREscue, when I can just as easily run DDrescue from Linux Mint.

Pierre: If I run any 'Live CD' and then call up DDRescue, how will it write a logfile? It's my understanding that if there's no stored logfile, and there's a discontinuation of the copy process, DDRescue has to start from the beginning again. While, if there is a logfile, DDR just picks up again where it left off.
Which is why I think I'd need to have a hard drive somewhere in the mix.

Other than the source and target drives that I want to copy from, and to, of course.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed May 08, 2019 7:20 am

This is something that uses open source components and charges you for it. This is common in hte WIndows world, where much if not most of $100 software is nothing but one or more frewe open source programs that smeone has wrapped in a half assed GUI. I don't think that approach will get very far in the Linux world.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I very much doubt that would do very much that a totally standard linux bootable iso with gparted on it wouldn't.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 am

As said: boot from the Mint DVD and simply use GParted in its live session. No need for Parted Magic.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Other topics”