Disability Access

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Toschi
Level 1
Level 1

Disability Access

Post by Toschi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 am

Hello,

I'm visually impaired. Why is there no magnifying Desktop not possible?

Super+m is not going! A speech tool I can't find. For me is this version not usable.

sry for the double entry (mate and here) I'm visually impaired.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Disability Access

Post by xenopeek » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 am

Default keyboard shortcut on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon for zoom in is Alt+Super+= and for zoom out Alt+Super+-. In Accessibility in your menu you first need to toggle Desktop Zoom on and if you want the magnifying glass also toggle Lens mode on. Then those shortcuts work.

In Accessibility you can also turn the screen reader on. It will always be on that way. If you want to be able to toggle it on/off go into Cinnamon Settings, Keyboard and then on the Shortcuts tab go to the Universal Access category in the left sidebar. There you'll find the "Turn screen reader on or off" shortcut but without a keyboard binding assigned so one needs to be set by clicking on one of the unassigned rows in bottom part of the window and then press desired keyboard shortcut to bind.

For Linux Mint 19.2 MATE no default shortcuts are set for magnifier or screen reader. Open Keyboard Shortcuts from the menu and in the Accessibility category set a keyboard shortcut for both and then they should work.

In your German cross post you said you used Linux Mint 18 before. I don't know if it had default keyboard shortcuts sets for accessibility actions. You may have set them initially?

I can imagine the above will be harder to do on your own but I hope you can manage to set either up to your liking.

Return to “Other topics”