Best program for backup/imaging of Linux system partition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

Best program for backup/imaging of Linux system partition

Post by Chromie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 am

I tried Clonezilla, and it did seem to work. But the design and UI is really obscure. I'm not sure I trust it.
Are there better backup/imaging programs for Linux? There are quite a few for Windows, and they're
all fairly intuitive. I was hoping there was something similar in Linux Universe.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Best program for backup/imaging of Linux system partition

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:16 am

Chromie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 am
I tried Clonezilla, and it did seem to work. But the design and UI is really obscure. I'm not sure I trust it.
Clonezilla will save your treasured stuff and you won't regret it. All it takes to use is to press enter a few times, one ctrl-c and a few more enter keys. After reading the prompts and using it a few times, it'll become second nature. Why not consider giving it another chance?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 am

I do use Timeshift for system backups. There are several other application that can be used for data backups like Grsync, BackInTime etc. Occasionally I make partition images using Disks, that is gnome-disk-utility.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:09 am

Sir Charles wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 am
I do use Timeshift for system backups.
Timeshift is not a backup program. It's a system restore facility. There is much confusion around about this fact, please don't give users the wrong impression.

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:14 am

catweazel wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:09 am
Sir Charles wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 am
I do use Timeshift for system backups.
Timeshift is not a backup program. It's a system restore facility. There is much confusion around about this fact, please don't give users the wrong impression.
Well, that wasn't my intention. I consider timeshift's snapshots as backups of my system files that can be restored later. After all that is what backups are for, aren't they? Anyhow thanks for clarifying!
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 am

The UI on clonezilla is clunky, if you want simple try redo, still available on sourceforge but abandonware (last updated 2012), may not boot on modern hardware and may not boot from usb. Its what I use. Macrium reflect is another with a reasonable GUI, but windows based (you need to install in win, create a bootable usb/cd and use that). It does understand ext4, but I found on the free version it would only image the whole drive, I couldn't select individual partitions. Also found it very slow to boot (go and have a coffee). Yet another is veeam, sort of command line (ncurses) and not free with free version. Only one I've found that I think will image a live filesystem.

Timeshift, backintime, luckybackup, et-al are all file backup utilities using rsync as a backend. The above are image backup utilities.

I have been developing a simple GUI linux image backup utility, but life keeps getting in the way.
Workspace 1_020.png
[end of shameless plug]
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:51 am

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 am
Timeshift, backintime, luckybackup, et-al are all file backup utilities
Timeshift is not a backup application.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Chromie wrote:
There are quite a few for Windows, and they're all fairly intuitive. I was hoping there was something similar in Linux Universe.
There's a tutorial for using Macrium's Rescue Disk in Linux. Does require a Windows system somewhere to download and burn the disk. Never done it myself, but gets favorable reviews from members of the Forum.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chromie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:43 am

catweazel wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:16 am
Clonezilla will save your treasured stuff and you won't regret it. ... Why not consider giving it another chance?
Clonezilla is the program that I usually hear about in conversations about Linux imaging, so no doubt it's got something going for it. I'll give it another go.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:45 am

Chromie wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:43 am
catweazel wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:16 am
Clonezilla will save your treasured stuff and you won't regret it. ... Why not consider giving it another chance?
Clonezilla is the program that I usually hear about in conversations about Linux imaging, so no doubt it's got something going for it. I'll give it another go.
It has, yes. It's saved my bacon many times. It's rough in the UI department but it's absolutely rock solid.

Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chromie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:59 am

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 am
...Macrium reflect is another with a reasonable GUI, but windows based (you need to install in win, create a bootable usb/cd and use that). It does understand ext4, but I found on the free version it would only image the whole drive, I couldn't select individual partitions.
I have been developing a simple GUI linux image backup utility, but life keeps getting in the way.
I've used Macrium under Windows. That's an intuitive interface, and so far, it's been reliable. I have had occasion to create a bootable USB and do restores from there. I had no trouble. I had no idea that Macrium could read ext4! It's relatively expensive as Windows imaging tools go, but for Windows, I preferred it to its main competitors (AOMEI, Easus, Acronis). I was using it to image entire drives, so I didn't notice the inability to image just a single partition. I used AOMEI for resizing partitions after restore, but I doubt that AOMEI supports ext4.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on the GUI, so I hope you get a chance to finish your own backup program soon.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 am

I didn't notice the inability to image just a single partition
I used the free version to clone an HDD to SSD, maybe if you are just doing an image backup you may be able to select individual partitions, not tried it.
Timeshift is not a backup application.
:) ¿ɔıʇuɐpǝd pɐʇ ɐ ǝBʎɐɯ ʇnB 'ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cliffcoggin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 am

AndyMH wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 am

:) ¿ɔıʇuɐpǝd pɐʇ ɐ ǝBʎɐɯ ʇnB 'ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɹɐ noʎ
That made me chuckle.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:16 pm

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Useful link, I knew about most of them, including mondorescue, but in the screen shot for it, it is saying "I am backing up your live filesystem now". Interesting, I'll have a play with it!!

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm

The Disks utility will image a partition, so that's a good place to start. It's already included with Mint.

Now for backups. Contrary to what catweazel has said (sorry catweazel), Timeshift can be used as a backup program, but I would recommend a separate drive to hold the files. For it to be a full-fledged backup, you should include your /home directories and files using Timeshift's settings. Plus, you can use your file manager to browse the Timeshift files and, if needed, retrieve a particular directory/file.

I also use Aptik. It's touted as a program to migrate your system settings and data, but can be used as a backup program. Version 18.x is free but no longer maintained because Tony George, the creator, now has version 19 and is no longer free ($25). I love this program and bought the new, paid version. Easy to use. You can backup/restore any part of your system by means of categories, including /home. You can check it out here https://teejeetech.in/aptik-3/ The one thing is that you can't use file manager to browse the backups.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:25 pm

JerryF wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm
The Disks utility will image a partition, so that's a good place to start. It's already included with Mint.

Now for backups. Contrary to what catweazel has said (sorry catweazel), Timeshift can be used as a backup program, but I would recommend a separate drive to hold the files. For it to be a full-fledged backup, you should include your /home directories and files using Timeshift's settings. Plus, you can use your file manager to browse the Timeshift files and, if needed, retrieve a particular directory/file.

I also use Aptik. It's touted as a program to migrate your system settings and data, but can be used as a backup program. Version 18.x is free but no longer maintained because Tony George, the creator, now has version 19 and is no longer free ($25). I love this program and bought the new, paid version. Easy to use. You can backup/restore any part of your system by means of categories, including /home. You can check it out here https://teejeetech.in/aptik-3/ The one thing is that you can't use file manager to browse the backups.
Nice info
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:40 pm

JerryF wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm
+1 for the paid Aptik. I don't use it as a backup but to restore my system from a clean install. It's well worth the $US25/$AU23,000,000.

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Post by coffee412 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:04 pm

I use rsync to do all my backups to a external drive. Because my system is always on I setup a cron job to manage it every morning at 1:00am. It also keeps a log of everything thats backed up including the time it starts, The time it ends and any other info from rsync.

Im working on having it send me a daily email with the log file attached and have to setup postfix for that. I do run invoice-ninja and it does email out my invoices. Perhaps I can get it to email out that log daily by a command line option. I dont know. Looking into it.

If it helps, Here is my script that I wrote up that does my backups. I understand that a lot of users feel more comfortable with a GUI but if you want something that is basically set it up and forget it this might help. You would have to change the paths in the rsync lines and log file though.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Backup /home directory on raid to external 2tb drive in box.
# coffee412 Aug. 21,2019
touch /var/log/homebackup.log
echo "/sbin/HOMEBACKUP-SCRIPT * coffee412 2019 * " >> /var/log/homebackup.log
echo -e "\e[1;32m $(date "+%m-%d-%Y %T") : Backup Started....\e[0m" >> /var/log/homebackup.log
rsync -av --stats /home/coffee /mnt/EXT2TB-BACKUP 2>&1 >> /var/log/homebackup.log
echo -e "\e[1;32m $(date "+%m-%d-%Y %T") : Backup Finished....\e[0m" >> /var/log/homebackup.log
I just started with a simple script and kept adding to it. I have modified it to work with my business clients servers. I find that just having a spare drive or two setup in a raid and doing backups this way the most practical way for me.

Its simple but does a good job. :)

coffee412
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

mbott001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbott001 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 pm

Chromie wrote:
<snip>
Clonezilla has saved my bacon several times. Anywhere from partitions to whole drives have been restored with Clonezilla. Not sure what I would trust without having Clonezilla.

--
Mike

Return to “Other topics”