Best program for backup/imaging of Linux system partition

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Best program for backup/imaging of Linux system partition

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:48 pm

mbott001 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 pm
Chromie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 am
I tried Clonezilla, and it did seem to work. But the design and UI is really obscure. I'm not sure I trust it.
<snip>
Clonezilla has saved my bacon several times. Anywhere from partitions to whole drives have been restored with Clonezilla. Not sure what I would trust without having Clonezilla.

--
Mike
+1 , for backup Clonezilla is one of the best
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Timeshift captures change only. It is a reliability application since it's possible to rollback to a prior position if a change causes instability problem.

A true backup allows the user to capture data from entire filesystems, or directories, or devices for maintainability and sustainability in the event of partial or even catastophic loss. I use rsync, others use Grsync, others Timeshift/Backintime/Luckybackup and even some very pricey solutions. The key to a proper backup is that it copy data to a removable external drive usually via a USB connection. The best solution makes use of offsite storage such as a fire/water resistant safe, or a bank safe deposit box.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Chromie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chromie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 am

Re Macrum: I have used Macrium for Windows backups in the past. It seems to be current best of breed.

I had already created a Macrum USB boot drive, so I used it to image the boot drive on one of my Linux systems. It seems to understand ext- partitions, and it did allow deselecting the large swap partition, so it did not require imaging the entire drive.

Of course I have not used it for restore, so I can't confirm that it will work. But it seems to be the user-friendliest up-to-date program. I intend to image with Clonezilla as well, just to make sure. But that is an obscure UI, with some misleading and cryptic prompts. It would be nice to see a professionally coded upgrade to the UI, since it apparently works for those who know it.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 am

Of course I have not used it for restore, so I can't confirm that it will work.
I've used it to clone HDD to SSD on a mint installation. It worked.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:47 am

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 am
Of course I have not used it for restore, so I can't confirm that it will work.
I've used it to clone HDD to SSD on a mint installation. It worked.
The uuids instance would be different. What all changes did you do after the restore?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:53 am

The uuids instance would be different. What all changes did you do after the restore?
None. HDD was internal, SSD external with a usb to sata adaptor. Then swapped out the HDD and replaced with SSD. I've also had both drives connected and no problems booting off either. I had also thought that I might have a problem with two drives and same partition UUIDs, but didn't.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 am

JerryF wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm
The Disks utility will image a partition, so that's a good place to start. It's already included with Mint.
I never knew it was possible to make an image of a partition / disk with the LinuxMint program "Disks". I tried it and it works great. Very easy in use. With a great graphical user interface. Myself being a complete newbie, I made some beginner mistakes, like forgetting to give my new external harddisc read / write permissions. But when I had done that I could easily make an image partition with the already installed progam in LinuxMint called "Disks". Thanks for that tip JerryF.

mdurham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mdurham » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:19 pm

The best is 'Apart'. It's fast and economic, only copies the used sectors. It also works on a windows partition.

https://github.com/alexheretic/apart-gtk/releases

Cheers, Mike

Return to “Other topics”