Portable Mint OS in USB

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
adn152
Level 1
Level 1

Portable Mint OS in USB

Post by adn152 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if it's possible to use Mint OS in USB and boot it in another computer.
I don't mean by that the same USB for installation.
But rather an operational OS where I can store permanent data and programs and use it in other PC.

if it's possible, please share the link of the procedure.

Thanks in advance

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Portable Mint OS in USB

Post by Moem » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:03 am

Yes. Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

adn152
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adn152 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 am

Moem wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:03 am
Yes. Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353
Wow, thanks for the fast reply.
there is a lot of reading there :lol: , I will go trough and see how it does.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:17 pm

adn152 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 am
I will go trough and see how it does.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. You can do that in this thread, i.e., no need to open yet another one.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

amzounslide95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amzounslide95 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:30 pm

If you have a windows machine to work with you can download the Universal USB Installer from www.pendrivelinux.com. Just run the file, select linux mint, point it at the ISO and your USB drive and let it work the magic. You will have a bootable USB drive. Super easy.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm

A full install to a flash drive done on one PC with it's proprietary hardware and then attempting to run it on a completely different hardware system is prone to serious issues. It may or may not work. Expect problems. Even if the 2 hardware systems are very similar, it's still prone to issues. I'd advise at the least is to use a separate drive for each install. When doing the initial install, have only that drive attached plus the installer of course (be it DVD or flash drive).
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Best method is to boot a LIVE DVD of Mint. Install the mkusb program. Run the "dus" option. When asked if you want "persistence" choose it. This will create a compressed image of the operating system on the USB flashdrive, (which runs faster), and the persistence area called "casper-rw" where all changes can be saved. One good thing about this, is if you run into a big problem after making changes, you can manually delete everything in the casper-rw section, and it will then boot back to it's original setup, since the compressed (ISO) area remains unchanged always.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:24 pm

blueocean wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm
A full install to a flash drive done on one PC with it's proprietary hardware and then attempting to run it on a completely different hardware system is prone to serious issues. It may or may not work. Expect problems.
That issue is addressed in the tutorial. It's a problem if either system needs special drivers, but otherwise not as far as I can tell. I've done several USB installs using what I call the Hybrid method and each boots fine on two very different machines (one BIOS, the other UEFI). The reason this works, again AFAICT, is that the drivers are in the kernel, so that selects whichever ones are needed for the particular boot environment.
Spearmint2 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm
Best method is to boot a LIVE DVD of Mint. Install the mkusb program. Run the "dus" option. When asked if you want "persistence" choose it.
Well, yes, that's another option. Whether it's the best one is something that can be discussed. Among other things, which is better depends on how one plans to use the drive. Not much point discussing it here, though, as the OP seems to have moved on.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Other topics”