Netflix would not load

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
waer01
Level 1
Level 1

Netflix would not load

Post by waer01 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi, I have latest linux mint and struggling to launch netflix. checked "opera://components" and chrome://components/ and there is no widevine component as some articles suggest to update that. not sure how do I add it? I have installed opera and chromium from software manager. Some articles say Firefox should load netflix video no problem, but I get redirected to this page saying something about html5: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

Please help, I am new to linux.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Netflix would not load

Post by lsemmens » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:28 pm

Some information about your system might go a long way to getting help. FWIW, Netflix works well on all of my Linux machines with no issues.

Please can you post the output of "inxi - Fxz" with your next post.

open a terminal (little black icon with $ sign in the corner)
at the prompt type: inxi - Fxz
Copy the resultant output (which most likely has scrolled off the screen, so make sure you get it all)
Paste it here between the Quote tags "</>" icon and someone might be able to point you in the right direction.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

SausageCreature
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SausageCreature » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Sorry if i am only repeating what you already know and sounds a bit "hit and miss".. I am new to Linux as well..

When I first set up Mint, I uninstalled Firefox and added Opera using the Mint Software Manager, simply because I like Opera browser. With Opera I also encountered the following:

"Your web browser is missing a digital rights component. In the address bar, go to opera://plugins and ensure Widevine Content Decryption Module is enabled."

Although this was with Amazon streaming. I didn't find much information online to be of use, other than suggestions to use FireFox. In fact, every time i have needed technical information on Opera, I have searched for my specific version of Opera with a description of my problem, only to find that the only information available is not accurate for my version and often bares no resemblance to my browser. For example, with this current DRM issue, I tried browsing to opera://plugins only to be routed to opera://settings/content/flash which is completely and utterly unhelpful and leaves me falling at the first hurdle. Nor, could i find out how to add the Widevine into my version. As much as I like Opera, I might come to the conclusion that it is better to use something whereby there is accurate and up to date, version specific information available. I have found the technical help/information on Opera to be of the poorest quality. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, or looking in the wrong way.

What helped me with this DRM WideVine - I simply reinstalled Firefox from the Mint Software Manager tool, and now use that for Amazon Prime, and it has been OK. Can you try adding, updating FireFox and see if that helps?

Sausage.
For those curious about my username:
http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html

waer01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waer01 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:00 pm

lsemmens, I am not getting any output by trying the command you suggested:

linux@linux-hp:~$ sudo su - root
[sudo] password for linux:
root@linux-hp:~# inxi - Fxz
Error 22: Unsupported option: -
Check -h for correct parameters.

Netflix shows this screen when tried with Firefox: https://postimg.cc/fkdtR9Vp

waer01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waer01 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:18 pm

SausageCreature, I have tried re-installing firefox and also disabled all my add-ons and cleared all history/cache. Still same, now I am getting: "Oooops, something went wrong. Unexpected error, please reload page and try again." And this happens on whatever video I am trying to load.. really frustrating I guess I just need to re-install linux mint... It does not work on any browser I tried.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm

My fault!!!! inxi -Fxz - NO SPACE between the dash and the F. You won't need sudo.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Bryan88
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bryan88 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 am

Don't know if this will help, but I think one of the things I had to do to get Netflix working on Firefox was set it to remember history ie, you can't have it set to delete history/cookies ect when it shuts down.

Luna Moon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luna Moon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:25 am

Bryan88 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:28 am
Don't know if this will help, but I think one of the things I had to do to get Netflix working on Firefox was set it to remember history ie, you can't have it set to delete history/cookies ect when it shuts down.
This actually helped me! Thank you.

Return to “Other topics”