PC randomly crashing

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rene
Level 11
Level 11

Re: PC randomly crashing

Post by rene » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Good luck. Think it has some chance to show the SSD's fine....

AndreZoio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndreZoio » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:48 pm

I was thinking, can these issues be caused by cold weather or other atmospheric phenomenon? i remember that the last days it worked flawlessly (8+h and no hiccup), it wasn't as cold and dry as the last days that I'm struggling with the SSD... maybe some solder pad is loose or something? or maybe someone voodooed my drive? this is too strange D: I bought it just because it is said they last a lifetime

Edit: Is there a way for me to record the error messages? maybe they contain a clue? I couldn't get good pictures because the errors rolled.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:27 pm

I'd stop bothering until you've tested the drive in another board and/or tested with another PSU. Most of the error messages are going to be from the software-level (i.e., the EXT4-fs ones) and won't be all that interesting: if the underlying hardware bombs out it's hardly surprising that software trips over about anything it tries to do. The "PCIe Bus Error" ones you got are/were somewhat more interesting but would for example lead a new influx of responders to suggest you'd try booting with the "pci=nomsi" kernel parameter in Grub, even though the history of the problem and it also being present in Windows basically denies most that is not simple hardware failure.

So, if you happen to be fond of red herrings, go right ahead, but I'd really otherwise shelve the issue until you've convinced your friend to take apart his brand-new high-end notebook...

When booting from the drive logging errors would be an issue anyway, seeing as how they'll probably not make it to disk, but when accessing it as a secondary drive, journalctl -b [-f] will display / monitor kernel messages from the current boot (and without the -b, all). But I don't think they're going to be very interesting.

[EDIT] Assuming you are going to ignore me anyway, other than "pci=nomsi" another brightly coloured species of fish would be "pcie_aspm=off"

AndreZoio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndreZoio » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:47 pm

I'll just RMA it, already filed it and sent the necessary informations, hope the one they'll send me back will really last a lifetime this time lol

74m3_G33k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 74m3_G33k » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:37 am

AndreZoio wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:47 pm
I'll just RMA it, already filed it and sent the necessary informations, hope the one they'll send me back will really last a lifetime this time lol
Post an update here when you have it installed to let us know it the replacement fixes your problem. I'm still not convinced that Intel RST isn't to blame.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:57 am

I, on the other hand, am still not convinced it's not a board or PSU power-delivery issue...

Return to “Other topics”