Problem in Wine with transparent images

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Problem in Wine with transparent images

Post by Drugwash » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 am

Hope it's not the wrong place to post this.

I'm having trouble with Wine under Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, but not only - tried Wine under Peppermint with same results.
Problem is, transparent areas of images displayed in a GUI appear as black, as if the alpha channel weren't decoded correctly.
Mostly noticed this in my own AutoHotkey scripts (compiled or not) since that's what I'm using Wine for, but there were also similar artefacts in Total Commander.

Had Wine 4.0.1, updated to 4.0.2, then 4.14, then 4.15, and also installed 2.22 and 3.20 in PlayOnLinux - all with the same behavior.
Driver is nVidia 340.107 for a GeForce 310M videocard. Same behavior with the native Nouveau driver.

As can be seen in first screenshot below, the same application run under Win10 in VirtualBox (blue theme) displays the image correctly (the 'No image' rectangle), while the one run under Wine (pink theme) exhibits the black background bug.

Wondering if anyone with a good background in using Wine (and maybe AHK too) could provide some info, hints etc. Thank you in advance.

Image Image

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem in Wine with transparent images

Post by Drugwash » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 am

Am I always the one with impossible issues... :roll:

I've just discovered an interesting - or rather worrying - thing: 32bit bitmap images are rendered incorrectly in Mint itself.
First I had some theme images for Metacity that had transparent areas. They were PNGs but still, when applied the transparent areas were coming out as black.
Now I opened up a folder in Nemo and looked at the BMP and PNG images, all 32bit, that were supposed to have alpha channel transparency: the BMPs have black areas instead:
BMP32bit_no_alpha_anno.png
I'm starting to suspect that the real culprit is not Wine but something in Mint's own image processing, maybe inherited from Ubuntu or somewhere else upstream. Am I right or have I screwed up this installation too somehow? Can anyone please confirm or deny?

Return to “Other topics”