Getting started with electronics

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CaseyMarie
Level 1
Level 1

Getting started with electronics

Post by CaseyMarie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 am

Hi everyone and thanks for looking at my post.

I'd quite like to learn a little bit about electronics. I know a lot of the basics, I.E i know what a capacitor, resistor, transistor etc does but I would like to learn more.

I know that there are some electronic circuit design programs for Linux but are there any that could be good for experimenting and learning with? I remember when I was at secondary school there was a piece of software called crocodile clips that allowed you to make circuits and then simulate them. Something like that would be ideal.

Secondly I know a large part of hobbiest electronics is reclaiming components from old bits of broken electronics. I have an old router that I've taken apart. Is there any way to easily tell what parts might be worth holding on to? Most of the parts on it seem to be quite small, smaller than a grain of rice and I don't think I could get those, but there are a couple of capacitors on it and a couple of big chips with NT2011D and HG 1624B on it. Is it worth stripping it and keeping it or should I just strip it for some practice?

Thanks a lot!

Casey x

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Getting started with electronics

Post by Pierre » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:21 am

if you can drive an soldering iron, then surely dissemble that router.
8)
if, not so handy,, then take some care to not burn yourself.
- - most of the parts, would not be so useful, but some would surely be so.

do you have an interest in any particular area of the electronics field ?.
- - you can buy various gadgets, on-line, these days, that you can assemble yourself.

would you be interested in Old School Radio ?
- - you can actually get an Gov't issued Radio Licence to operate an Radio Transciever
but you would have to do some amount of Study - - just like getting your car licence.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

CaseyMarie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CaseyMarie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am

Well I've not really had much experience with my soldering iron so I'll really appreciate the practice ^^

I have had an idea to build a robot to sort mini hama beads by for a while now. I think there are quite a few people who have done that with guides on the internet. Using a pi and a webcam, it looks pretty interesting :) I do have a couple of Pis, one of them isn't really doing much.

Other than that I'm not really sure. I'm just hoping that the more I learn the more applications will emerge. It's a bit like learning Linux as well. I'm working through a few books without any clear end goal in mind just to learn more so I can use it more effectively.

If I had more space in my flat I'd probably be thinking about building a pin ball table as well :p

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:32 am

just obtaining an Raspberry Pi online & then messing around with that,
would be both rewarding, as an learning experience & when trying to program the thing, as well.

then there is Robotics - - you can get some in partly assembled form,
& then program it yourself.

it really depends, a little on your spending ability, and you wouldn't wish to outlay too much,
- - at least until you have an particular area of interest - - electronics in general, can get expensive.

which is why, some of the older folks, got into Radio as their introduction into electronics.

could you obtain some older style Desktop type computers & disassemble them ?
- - then re-assemble them, back to an working state ?
there's another thought.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

CaseyMarie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CaseyMarie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 am

Those sound like nice ideas. I've done things like installing ram and a hard drive before but never completely stripped a PC. Are you talking about a ham radio or more one for picking up AM/FM?

Fritzing looks interesting as well although I need to fix launching errors. Wish me luck!

Edit: Well I've installed Fritzing and fixed the errors, it looks really cool but it's not what I'm looking for as there's no way to run a simulation from what I can tell. I found out that crocodile clips does chemistry as well but they want a subscription so that's a no no :(

Return to “Other topics”